Filter pressure builds quickly

Aug 19, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
I had a lot of dirt/leafs in my pool so last weekend i cleaned the filter and started sweeping and cleaning the pool. The pump pressure started at 18psi when the filter was clean and recharged. Within a few hours the pressure was up to 30psi. I turned the pump off and let the pool sit for 24 hours. The next day I turned the pump on and the pressure was back down to about 22psi. I was able to run the pump for a few hours and then it would go up to 30psi, I would shut off the pump, let it sit for a while and turn it back on. Each time the pressure would drop down to around 22 or 23psi.

Today I cleaned the filter again knowing it was filthy and full of the dirt/leafs I had sucked out of the pool. I put the filter back together and charged it. The pressure was at 18psi. I turned the secondary pump on to get the pool cleaner to start running and the pressure jumped up to 30 PSI. I figured something is clogging the cleaner line someplace but have not had time to look at that yet. I just turned the cleaner off and the pressure drops back down to 20psi. After running the pump for about 3 hours the pressure at the filter is back up to 30psi.

I have cleaned this pool and not had to rinse the filter two or three times before and the filter has never had pressure issues before.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Your filter is collecting debris and that causes the pressure rise. A clogged line from the cleaner to the pump would cause a pressure drop.

More than likely, you also have algae in your pool....whether you see it or not. In short I think your issue is with water chemistry and not the filter.

Can you post a set of test results and tell us what your water looks like now.

YS - he means with the cleaner off.....not the pump.

Not sure there is a line from the pool cleaner to the pump. I assumed the line, since it is a pressure side cleaner/vacuum, would run from the pump to the filter to the booster pump and on to the vacuum. My thought was that if there is an obstruction between the filter and the cleaner then when I turn the valve to direct water to the vacuum the the pressure would build at the filter.

I absolutely have algae in the pool. However, I was just trying to get the pool cleaned up, removal of live derbies and dirt, in an attempt to keep the chlorine levels high enough to keep an algae bloom at bay until the weather gets warm enough to swim. I don't have the time to slam the pool right now and am trying to put it off until late spring early summer when it is actually warm enough to swim.

The pool had almost zero algae visible when I cleaned the filter. There is no possible way there was enough algae in the pool to cause the filter pressure to rise from 18psi to 30psi in 3 hours.

If you have algae in the pool..............you are ALREADY past the keeping an algae bloom at bay. You will not be able to maintain enough FC to keep it down unless you SLAM it. Everything clogging your filter doesn't have to be live and green. Dead algae is white and you may not be noticing it being combined with the dirt you say you have. The only factor on your side right now keeping it from going full blown is lower water temps.

Yup, the water was cloudy a couple of days ago but I had it pretty clear when I cleaned the filter on yesterday. Today the water is crystal clear without slamming it. When I said I wanted to prevent a algae bloom I was referring to the entire pool turning green and the entire surface of the pool covered in algae which is what it looked like last weekend before I started sweeping and getting all the junk out of it. The dirt in the pool is out now. I had a robotic cleaner that stopped working last year. Today I plugged it in, put it in the pool and turned it on. It magically started working again. The dirt that was in the pool was heavy. Even when I stirred it up it would quickly settle back on the floor of the pool. When I said I knew I had algae in the pool I was referring to algae in places like the light niches. There is no visible algae in the pool.

My original questions are still unanswered. What would make the filter pressure rise from 18psi to 30psi when I divert water through the booster pump for the vacuum? Why, with clear water, and a completely clean freshly recharged filter, would the pressure rise 15psi in a 3 hour time?

I slam this pool about twice a year and I have seen the filter last months after slamming it before the pressure increases 10psi.

I am really confused. You have a "booster pump" that you are running water through to a vacuum? I can't follow that.

A booster pump supplies a pressure side cleaner......is that what you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.