Filter Plumbing Valves - One Skimmer - One Bottom??

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
Each season after I add DE, I have an issue with excess DE on the bottom of the pool. Yesterday I hooked up the vacuum to the skimmer and sucked most of it up. Not a big deal. But here are my questions...

There are TWO pipes coming up out of the ground that form a T with one pipe flowing to the intake side of the filter. 1) May I assume that one is water from the skimmer and the other is water from the bottom intake?

I ask because I have used my brush to push DE toward the bottom intake, but it barely looks as though its taking any water in. Meanwhile, the skimmer is sucking like mad. 2) Can I shut the skimmer valve to increase the intake at the bottom? 3) Is it OK to simply shut off either valve to determine which one is the intake for the skimmer and which is the bottom?

4) Is there a way to backflush or blow out the intake in the bottom of the pool? Is this even necessary? My pool is probably at least 15 years old and I have no idea if that drain/intake is clogged or not. But it sure doesn't seem to suck.

Jeff,

I suspect that your Main Drain is working just fine.. It is almost impossible to feel or see the suction at the main drain.. It is fine to set your valve to only skimmer, or only main drain, or a combination of both.. For normal operation, it is best to set the valve to 10% main drain and 90% skimmer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.