Filter issues? Please help

I just saw your post thanks for the reminder!! It’s like I tell my dad exactly what you said about the sand not going bad, but getting overwhelmed even though I tell him what I think I know and what you and others have told me and reminded me I get to where I feel like I can’t think and am grabbing at straws because I am feeling like I’m failing!
I wrote my post last night and then remembered what @Texas Splash sent me Wednesday about a deep cleaning it. So I took the top off and the post and laterals were connected to the multi port valve. So I figured out how to get it out last night and didn’t know how to get it back in. After a few not too nice calls to Leslies customer service and getting the nice people from jacuzzi to give me the corporate manager over their brand products at Leslies phone number and email I got a call back, he was great and even FaceTimed me to look at my equipment situation. So I had to take all the sand out anyway so I can get everything put back together. Not as bad as I imagined! Now that I have 95% of the sand out I’ve noticed that around 25%-30% of the sand from the bottom down seems like it needs to be rinsed more. I want to make sure I get all the cloudiness out before putting the sand back in. I have it in my daughters enormous beer pong buckets and was wondering if anyone has done this and if y’all have any idea of the easiest/best way for me to make sure the cloudy substance is out of the sand. I was thinking… if I could do it in small loads like the buckets the sand is in right now it would be easy to pour it back into the filter. Could I use a pillow case or something?

if you already have the sand mostly out, you could go ahead and replace it, but you still have to clean the new sand anyway. if you have the current sand in buckets, just do the cleaning there. stick a hose in to the bottom and swirl it around until the overflowing water is clear. there are procedures for putting the sand back into the filter so be sure to follow the instructions so as to not damage interior parts, but yes you can clean it in small loads in (the) bucket(s). not sure what you mean about using a pillowcase? don't see any need for that.

Reactions: Natnem
Ok that sounds good! I was thinking of putting the sand in a pillow cases and letting it soak and stuff as I’m working on everything and replacing the water. That way it is contained and easy to pour back in.
Thanks for the reminder about the process of adding it back. That’s one thing the guy went over with me this morning on FaceTime. I’m getting excited!

I didn’t think about that part! Thank you! The guy said to put a silicone lubricant on the the pole the laterals attach to. Not to use petroleum based… What kind should I use? Also should I used anything on the gasket or Oring that seals the multi ports valve housing?

The guy said to put a silicone lubricant on the the pole the laterals attach to. Not to use petroleum based… What kind should I use?
Any pool silicone lube, much like what you use on the pump O-ring. A little on just about any O-ring is a good thing.

PS- When is the beer pong tournament. :)

so I haven’t put the sand back yet! I’ve been reading other threads and researching a few things.
I have rinsed the sand and got the cloudiness out! Took much longer than I expected! So I was about to add sand back to the filter but realized I didn’t clean the laterals after inspecting them for cracks. By the way my sand was not stuck together it was like new I just had cloudy water flushing out for ever! of course I figured out a faster way when I was about 80% done!
I need some advice about the sand. I told my mom last night that after all the time I’ve put in to save money we don’t need to buy sand! However thankfully I remembered to clean my laterals because I discovered that they had some sand lodged in them. One of them had a spot that looked caked up but it wasn’t even the size of a dime. But after getting the sand out the laterals I was thinking…
How do I know if that normal? How much is too much or is there room for some sand to get stuck?
please let me know! Also I read the thread about sand quality that lead me to several other threads this morning and I was wondering what sand brand do y’all get ? Do I need new sand? Here’s a few pics of the sand in the laterals. 7D3D5C1A-3CBC-498F-A11B-15C832A6EFE5.jpegC639886D-25FA-4687-A8BC-791F98706C3F.jpeg

Attachments

• 23AC6922-23E0-4A85-870D-42B8A3296E1D.jpeg
    23AC6922-23E0-4A85-870D-42B8A3296E1D.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 6AFC359B-CB97-4FF0-968D-A7CB4785C489.jpeg
    6AFC359B-CB97-4FF0-968D-A7CB4785C489.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 6
  • C947BF66-A002-4B77-8F4F-BB7BBB030053.jpeg
    C947BF66-A002-4B77-8F4F-BB7BBB030053.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 7
so I haven’t put the sand back yet! I’ve been reading other threads and researching a few things.
I have rinsed the sand and got the cloudiness out! Took much longer than I expected! So I was about to add sand back to the filter but realized I didn’t clean the laterals after inspecting them for cracks. By the way my sand was not stuck together it was like new I just had cloudy water flushing out for ever! of course I figured out a faster way when I was about 80% done!
I need some advice about the sand. I told my mom last night that after all the time I’ve put in to save money we don’t need to buy sand! However thankfully I remembered to clean my laterals because I discovered that they had some sand lodged in them. One of them had a spot that looked caked up but it wasn’t even the size of a dime. But after getting the sand out the laterals I was thinking…
How do I know if that normal? How much is too much or is there room for some sand to get stuck?
please let me know! Also I read the thread about sand quality that lead me to several other threads this morning and I was wondering what sand brand do y’all get ? Do I need new sand? Here’s a few pics of the sand in the laterals. View attachment 346232View attachment 346233
looks pretty normal to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m praying this going to be my last post looking for advice!
I got everything together and back to working within an hour of the tropical storm we just had. I shocked the pool by using a bag of 73% cal hypo yesterday morning around 1:45am. my fC was 18 30 mins later at 9 am it was 15. Just finished vacuuming to waste and I’m refilling now to finish. It’s still cloudy but it was Kermit Green from not having the pump running and rain. Most of the green was vacuumed out. I need to brush and vacuum when it’s done filling. I will need to add chlorine and stabilizer for sure.
my dad got a small bucket of trichlor tables last year. I just opened it and it is bright yellow and they have 2 tables left. I want to get rid of them because I don’t use them. I was wondering if I could break them up and dissolve them and pour it into the pool or skimmer. I know I will need to backwash so I would lose some that way…
I looked into what the effects would be to do this using 2 (only 2 left and in 1 bucket container) I think they are 6oz each the app said 12 oz would raise my FC to 15, CYA by 8.9 and lower my PH 0.8 and raise the salt 12. I don’t have a swg so I don’t have to worry about the salt. But if I waited 30-60 mins would I get an accurate test reading for the cya to be able to adjust accordingly? Or wait until tomorrow?
My current numbers are
FC 5.5
PH 7.5
TA 80
CC 0
I guess this will raise my FC too high? I’m not sure if that’s ok or not.
Thank y’all again

Hey Natalie! :wave: While you could probably use those tabs, I would wait. You still need to complete the SLAM Process to get your water crystal clear, and increasing the CYA, even by just a little, will only require more chlorine. I would just put everything to the side except for chlorine. First lower the pH to about 7.2, then increase the FC to the proper SLAM level based on your current CYA as note on the FC/CYA Levels. After a major storm and cloudiness in the water, it's all about chlorine right now, and "maintaining" that proper FC level.

Reactions: Natnem and Pv2
Ok guys! Thank you as I was telling my dad my thoughts I thought I should wait. Saying it out loud sounds different then tossing it back and forth in your mind!! I think I was trying to avoid testing cya again today and then again in a few days if I have to backwash and vacuum to waste again. I don’t want to run out of testing supplies before the season is in full swing. But it’s definitely smarter to do what we know is right instead of adding yet another issue to my current slew of rolling problems I guess I’ve technically created! o_O

@kellyfair The bucket the tables are in has a little water in it. I’m guessing the lid didn’t get closed properly. Should I just throw them away?
No, but let them dry out. You don’t want to seal them up until they and the container are dry.

Happy Father’s Day to all you dads!! I woke up this morning and was stoked! The water looked so much better with the dead stuff on the bottom so I tested and added the chlorine to the slam # and decided to vacuum. Since there wasn’t a bunch on the bottom I thought I’d test out what I was originally trying to fix and accomplish, vacuuming and not having dirty water coming back into the pool from the jet! So I got the water out of the hose hooked it to the skimmer thing flipped it to hi and… I’m disappointed to say it was dirty water shooting back in the pool. I turned it off and proceeded to vacuum to waste. Now I’m letting it fill back up. My thought is to backwash it once it’s done filling. If this doesn’t work what the heck is my next step? Just totally heartbroken!! 😭

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.