Filter issues? Please help

when it fills back up get your chlorine back where it is supposed to be until you pass all three tests for the SLAM, relax and just vacuum to waste until you get rid of this stuff. it is obviously too fine for your sand so just dump it one step. when most is gone and you are close to the end of the slam you can try DE in the filter...BUT!!! read and understand and follow the directions carefully.

have you tried disposable hairnets or a skimmer sock? they pick up a surprising amount of fine crud and helps keep your main filter cleaner.

Do you have a recirculate option on your system? If so, try that and see if the dirty water comes out on that setting. I am starting to wonder if the spider gasket is somehow wearing and its causing leakage. I dont remember seeing, it how long do you backwash your system, and how long do you rinse it before going into filter mode? I wonder if possibly it needs more rinse time after backwashing. Just a couple of thoughts.

Sorry I didn’t see any replies until just now. Thank y’all! I’ve been keeping up with SLAM level of chlorine. I did vacuum to waste too.
@Pv2 I use knee high/stockings on the skimmer basket. I’m not sure I’m willing to use the DE again. A few weeks ago we had rain so bad for 2 weeks got a a day break and had another week or so if storms. It’s been raining a lot here. That’s what got me to this point I believe. I used DE when originally opened in March. It worked fine. This time I did the same thing followed directions and it kept blowing back to the pool. The pressure was somewhat unpredictable. It would be fine and spike and go down but it never went over 15/16psi.
@kellyfair I looked into that. I saw mixed reviews on the bag holding up. Is it something you use and keep on your return or only use it when needed? In my mind I just thought I’d get past this and be back to normal.
@Chad1979 I do have recirculate on my pump. I actually used it when I reconnected everything after I put the sand back in to push the chemicals through. There was nothing dirty coming out but I just added the sand back too. I tried it again after reading your reply and it was fine. I thought about the spider gasket but I didn’t know what it would look like if it was worn and not broke. I also thought someone would mention it here if they thought it could be that. I wasn’t sure being my second year. I guess I can google imagines to see what it would look like.
It’s frustrating I’ve had the pump on low since yesterday and we’ve been getting rain. So this morning I wanted to test it to see what was going to happen. Once again I turn it from low to hi and it blows from the filter into the pool. So I turned it off and backwashed and only a little greenish came out and I let it run for about a minute and rinsed that water came out dirty longer than It did in backwash. I put I back to hi and I can’t remember if it was dirty or not but I vacuumed it and backwashed and rinsed it and after that I turned it back on hi and it wasn’t dirty. I feel like when I switch to hi from low it happens too.
I would typically backwash until the bubble was clear then rinse for 30seconds. If I knew the water was dirty or if I had to shock it or vacuumed anything green I’d backwash for 2-3 minutes but when SLAMMING I would go 3 minutes.

Use just for now. It will help clear your water AND let you get a good look at exactly what is causing this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.