Filter for water features constricting water flow?

Cole johnstone

Jul 26, 2022
Nashville, TN
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am having my pool built right now. I have three 18" sheer arch water falls and two bubblers. All made by CMP. They have their own dedicated 1.6HP Hayward VS pump. I have a 2" main drain line that goes directly to the feature pump. Right now, there is no filter attached to my water feature pump. I was looking into this and my thoughts were I would probably benefit from a CMP cartridge filter (made for water features). The largest they have is 50sq ft. However, Ive read that is only 50 GPM flow rate and that seems like it would constrict the water flow.

My pool builder also did not install the rock traps for the sheer waterfalls, but concrete is not poured yet and I am going to have them add them in.

Thoughts on the filter constricting water flow?

There are flow requirements listed in the owner's manual for the sheers. For an 18" arch, they call for 22gpm each. That can get a bit noisy, but you can dial it back with the VSP. You could always install 2 of those filters in parallel. You definitely want a filter on sheers.

There are flow requirements listed in the owner's manual for the sheers. For an 18" arch, they call for 22gpm each. That can get a bit noisy, but you can dial it back with the VSP. You could always install 2 of those filters in parallel. You definitely want a filter on sheers.
Thank you. Would I be better off with a Jandy 2888 energy filter opposed to a CMP 50 sq ft cartridge filter? If I did need two, which one would be better? Thanks again

Jandy Energy filter is the size of a quart jar with a very tiny cartridge. Costs as much as the CMP and won't filter as well. The flow you would need for the water features would crush the cartridge quickly.

Jandy Energy filter is the size of a quart jar with a very tiny cartridge. Costs as much as the CMP and won't filter as well. The flow you would need for the water features would crush the cartridge quickly.
Understood. Thinking through this, maybe the move would be to put a Jandy Energy Filter on each of the three Sheer arcs (all 3 have separate lines) and not worry about a filter on the bubbler (those are 2" and I can unscrew the eye reducer in the pool to open it up if needed).

I don't really have room for 3 of the CMP filters on my pad without major overhaul (everything is already plumbed) and adding 3 Jandy Energy Filters should be relatively simple. Would a single Jandy Energy Filter be able to handle 22 GPM? Thank you --really appreciate the feedback.

Understood. Thinking through this, maybe the move would be to put a Jandy Energy Filter on each of the three Sheer arcs (all 3 have separate lines) and not worry about a filter on the bubbler (those are 2" and I can unscrew the eye reducer in the pool to open it up if needed).

I don't really have room for 3 of the CMP filters on my pad without major overhaul (everything is already plumbed) and adding 3 Jandy Energy Filters should be relatively simple. Would a single Jandy Energy Filter be able to handle 22 GPM? Thank you --really appreciate the feedback.
Possibly. Jandy never published the flow rate. These are most commonly seen with Polaris 360 cleaners now, though Polaris has always advised against them. Those require about 40 gpm to run. They work, but the cartridge does collapse more often than it would have with the RayVac that they were made for. It is a very tiny cartridge that clogs easily. If your suction port for the water feature is on the side of your pool, it may take longer to fill the cartridge, but they need to be watched

Possibly. Jandy never published the flow rate. These are most commonly seen with Polaris 360 cleaners now, though Polaris has always advised against them. Those require about 40 gpm to run. They work, but the cartridge does collapse more often than it would have with the RayVac that they were made for. It is a very tiny cartridge that clogs easily. If your suction port for the water feature is on the side of your pool, it may take longer to fill the cartridge, but they need to be watched
The suction for the water features is from a dedicated main drain on the bottom. I just talked to the PB and he says he has never had anyone put a filter on sheers he has installed and thinks a filter (or three filters) is overkill. Maybe I'm over thinking this ?

I've seen it done both ways, but always with a rock screen in the line. Generally, anything that can get through that screen won't clog the sheer.
If you're not comfortable without a filter in the line and the builder doesn't want to add them, the Jandy Energy filter is an easy DIY install for your purpose (and would probably cost less without the builder's mark-up).
Don't buy the full kit (filter, gauge, valve) but the filter alone. If you do install them, be sure to read the instructions that come with them and are on the jar as to how to reassemble after cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.