Filter case cracked... HELP!

BubbaFree

Apr 12, 2019
Royse City, Texas
I've run into an issue with my hayward cartridge filtration system. Apparently I have a serious over pressure problem that's causing the case head to crack. I have repaired it once already, I cleaned the filters after repairing the case head and 4 days later, it split again directly across from where I repaired it. The repair isnt pretty, but, it held up nicely. Oh, pressure was over 40 psi, I'm thinling replace the filters, repair the second crack and give it another go. Any thoughts out there?

Yikes, 40 psi on a cracked filter? You're lucky that it didn't explode and seriously injure someone.

You definitely need a new filter. Do not run the pump with that filter. It's very dangerous.

Your pressure gauge is probably bad. 40 psi is unlikely unless you have a 3 hp WhisperFlo or Intelliflo going full speed.

You really should get the normal filter pressure below 15 psi.

What pump do you have?

Last edited:
40psi is pretty high -can you post what is on your equipment pad and your pool set-up? aka profile at bottom

to reiterate James, operating a cracked filter casing is dangerous, esp if your pressure gauge is not broken...if you continue to go w a broken filter body, I would not run the pump while you/re near the equip and keep all others away from pad.

are you having a lot of pollen? Also, when you cleaned your cartridges, did the pressure drop from 40, if so, what? and how long did it take to rise again?

I'm thinling replace the filters, repair the second crack and give it another go. Any thoughts out there?
Just so there isn't any confusion, do not use the filter housing with the crack in it. Don't bother repairing the crack. You need to get a whole new filter or at least replace the cracked half, not just the filter element! Using a cracked housing is asking for trouble at any moment. The fact that the housing developed a second crack should be proof enough that it isn't viable anymore.

I think its a 3hp and know it's costant speed. I will check for sure tomorrow. It was running anywhere from 8-12 psi with even moderately dirty filters. I will replace the filters and repair the second crack.and we should be golden.
40psi is pretty high -can you post what is on your equipment pad and your pool set-up? aka profile at bottom

to reiterate James, operating a cracked filter casing is dangerous, esp if your pressure gauge is not broken...if you continue to go w a broken filter body, I would not run the pump while you/re near the equip and keep all others away from pad.

are you having a lot of pollen? Also, when you cleaned your cartridges, did the pressure drop from 40, if so, what? and how long did it take to rise again?
I am not sure on the exact age of the pool, if I had to guess I'd say it was at least 15 yrs old. We purchased this property with the pool. I replaced all of the filter cartridges last year without issue. This is the first time I've seen this high pressure in the system, its usually 7 - 12 psi and I clean the filters at 15 psi or so. Pollen isn't an issue around here with mostly Mesquite trees in my area. As far as the "pool profile", I'll just say it, I am a clueless newbie, lol. The pump is a 1.5 hp pentair whisperflo single speed pump with another 1 hp pump that drives the polaris. If I had to guess, I'd say the pool was around 30k gallons. I will work on getting that calculated tomorrow.

LOL! The last crack I repaired worked great, knowing that the Hayward case is a plastic/fiberglass composition I just used fiberglass to repair it. I had no idea that the system pressure was that high. The repair isn't pretty, but, for now its whats financially feasible and will get replaced as an assy at a later time. So, I will replace the filters, repair the crack and go from there. Watch the nightly news for sure.

Nothing had been added to the water except for chlorine and shock. I am just, for the past month, starting to get it ready for the summer heat. I will be frank here, I do not even know the model of the filter assy, I know its a Hayward, I know it has 4 of the long cartridges @ about 175 sq ft each and am COMPLETELY guessing its a Hayward C7030. All of the labels, badging or any other info is long since gone. I guess a call to hayward is in order. I appreciate all of the assistance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.