Filter Cartridge Replacement Interval

Aug 29, 2016
Rose Hill, KS
The pool store (dirty word) recommend replacing the filter every year. That was recommended to me when I didn't know about the TFP method and spent $ with them.

Is there a recommended interval to replace the filter?

I've had mine installed for about 12 months and it looks good. I typically clean the filter every other month when the temps are cool and every other week when the pool is in use.

F,

You don't need to replace them unless they stop working..

Does your pressure go up by 25% each month, or do you just like to clean them that often?

Unless the pressure increases by 25% over the clean pressure, there is not real reason to clean them.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

FLPool,

I just replaced my filter cartridge this last weekend. My pressure never changed by much so I waited a year before changing it. When I pulled it out, it was very nasty. Since they run about $80 for mine (i.e., $6.66 /month), I decided to just throw it out instead of washing it clean. That way I am guaranteed the best filtering possible each swim season for the price of a nice meal out.

I'm on year 3 with the same filter cartridges, just spray them clean every few months depending on the weather. I noticed the last time around there are some cracks forming around the rubber ends so if those get larger it might be time to replace.

The filter still looks new and my pressure is about the same when it was new.
I clean the filter on a monthly basis just to keep it clean. The highest pressure rise I've seen was 10% before cleaning.

Today I started the hair net in the skimmer which method which will reduce my cleaning intervals if I go by the 25% rule.

Thanks for the replays. This is another example of how the pool store says the filter should be replaced every year to get your $.

My last set was 10 years old when I replaced. The media was fine but the end caps were no longer holding the filter in the manifold. Take care of them and they will last a good long time.

I doubt there is any difference in the filters capability after 2 or 10 years (if properly taken care of).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.