Filter and SWCG Schedule Advice

Jun 16, 2014
Phoenix AZ
I have a programmable VS pump running the filter that is permanently powered. It is running 24/7.

This is the VS Pump schedule:
0800 - 2200: 1200 rpm
2200 - 0200: 2900 rpm
0200 - 0800: 1500 rpm

The SWCG is controlled by Jandy RS8 automation. But currently, I am running it 24/7.

(Peak utility rate is between 3pm to 8pm.)

I am doing this so that I can get nonstop flow and filtering and have constant Cl generation.

Anything wrong with this setup? Any adjustments I should make?

I would double check the rpm level that triggers your low-flow indicator. 1200 seems low to me with a heater. I have an IC40 and don’t go below 1600 for my setup. It turns green at 1450 but I keep it at 1600 just to make sure it doesn’t drop below and trigger the low-flow indicator.

I would double check the rpm level that triggers your low-flow indicator. 1200 seems low to me with a heater. I have an IC40 and don’t go below 1600 for my setup. It turns green at 1450 but I keep it at 1600 just to make sure it doesn’t drop below and trigger the low-flow indicator.

I will definitely keep an eye on it. My salt cell is transparent and I can see decent flow even at 1200rpm and low flow indicator is off. But the filter pressure is ~5PSI. I can even probably push it lower 1000rpm but I could run the risk of low flow detected or losing prime.

My main question through was whether people are running filter and SWG 24/7 like I am and if it might be an issue. The obvious one is utility cost which is why I run at 1200rpm most of the time.

Don't run it during our peak electrical rate period.

No reason to run a pool pump 24 hours a day.

I run mine 6 hours per day. We do not have tiered electrical rates so I run it 0930 to 1530 when the sun is on the pool surface.

ph,

As Marty says... it is not necessary to run your pump 24/7, but if that is what you want, it won't hurt a thing.

I have had three saltwater pools that have been running 24/7 for several years, one over 6 years, one over 5 years and one almost 4 years...

It works perfectly for me.... Because I like the "A little chlorine all the time approach." But, we have plenty of members that are on the other side of the fence and think it is a pretty stupid idea. :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Based solely on our electrical costs, I have my SWG at 100% and run the VS pump at 1600 rpms for the least amount of time to keep my FC in the target range. 2 hours in December and 20 hours in July. The water is always clear as glass.

One thing I should reiterate again is that the filter pump and SWCG are controlled and programmed completely independently. I have no choice since my Jandy Automation cannot control my Pentair VS Pump.

If I didn't run them both 24/7, then I would need to sync their start/stop times and even have the SWCG run a few hours inside the filter pump's "on window". So the SWCG would run a few hours behind the filter pump start time and a few hours ahead of the pump filter stop time.

By not running 24/7, there is a chance that if one of the two gets out of sync badly due to power outage or whatever, there is the risk of turning on the SWCG when the filter pump isn't running. In that case, the flow switch would have to be depended on to avert disaster.

Of course, I could just run the pump filter on a set schedule and have the SWCG permanently on and just let the flow switch do the work of shutting down when there is no flow rather than program the SWCG on a schedule compatible with the filter pump schedule. Circupool actually endorses doing so in the manual.

Circupool said:
When used with variable-speed or other electronically controlled pumps, you may wish to wire the Control Module directly to your power source. This will allow the pump to determine when the Cell is energized or dormant by activation of the Flow Switch.

So with all this in mind, is there any further suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.