Figured out what is wrong with the pool...

dunnma

Gold Supporter
Aug 27, 2017
Overland Park, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I have been struggling most of the year. I think I finally have things figured out, but I still need to powerfloc and backwash. I went over to the filter to check on if it needed to be backwashed. I looked at the SWG and noticed I didn't see a cloud coming off of the plates like I normally do.

I went over to the SWG to power it on and off so it would change the polarity when I noticed the attached.

The unit is fine, but I am guessing that somehow lightning did this? Or a power surge of some sort? The connector out of the unit is fried, and the plug itself. I am assuming it is a total loss. Had it for 7 years.

So, what do people recommend? It looks like they don't make this anymore, but this is the "replacement".

What do you all recommend? Looking for ease of use/installation, and preferably good recommendations that won't break the bank.

Attachments

• 20230713_065743.jpg
    20230713_065743.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 36
D,

I doubt it was lighting... We see this problem quite often and most of the time it is caused by a poor connection between the two connectors. When this happens, there is a little resistance to current flow, which causes heat. Over time this resistance increases and the voltage drop increase and the heat increases until the point where things melt.

I don't think you will find "PowerFlocing" in our recommended processes.. :mrgreen:

I am surprised that your cell lasted as long as it did. We always recommend a cell than it 2 x the volume of the pool. In theory, your cell is way too small, but if it works for you, it works for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidArmenB
I wouldn't have thought lightning...would have had other problems (house has been struck before).

My problem is that every time I get the algae killed, the water is always very cloudy. In the past I have done the DE over sand filter treatment, backwashed, rinsed and repeated. Powerflocing for me at least is much faster and I believe saves water/chemicals.

Is there a thread of recommended replacement SWGs?

Reactions: blazer58
Just note it is more than $10 difference than the RJ 45 since u could use the RJ30 price plus $10 to buy the RJ 45. I just installed that one and so far so good. Seems well made and i Like the clear feature of cell to see that it produces. If it lasts as long as they represent I will wish I bought the larger one also. I felt my last solaxx reliant didn’t meet the hours they represented and I couldn’t get a replacement cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was able to get the RJ60+ installed last night. While they say 45-60 minutes, I was probably closer to 2 hours just because I had to make several trips back and forth to the garage trying to get additional things I hadn't thought about needing. I also had a delay because I couldn't figure out why the SWG wouldn't turn on. Turns out that even though the black wire is smaller than the previous SWG, the wire nut I reused was too small for 3 wires and the new wire was being pushed out of the connection. Switched to a larger nut and things are working like a charm.

Reactions: mknauss
just because I had to make several trips back and forth to the garage trying to get additional things I hadn't thought about needing.
ma,

On almost every project that I do, it is a given that I will have to make at least two trips to a big box store. The first trip to get what I need, and the second or third trip to get what I forgot... :mrgreen:

Glad you got it working...

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.