Field install of circulating pump on Bullfrog spa

DavisGentry

May 10, 2023
virginia
My wife and I just purchased and installed a Bullfrog R5L spa. It is on a deck outside of our bedroom and is rather noisy, waking her up at night even with a fan running in the bedroom for white noise. I had asked about the circulating pump before ordering and the salesperson said no one ordered them and they weren't necessary. So - two questions: I assume that the general operation is much quieter with a circulating pump handling the temperature regulation. Is that true? If so, can you do a field install of the circulating pump? My wife hasn't slept since we put it in - tonight I just removed power, but that will not be possible in winter.

As an aside - I'm not impressed with the Bullfrog so far. It does not matter to which value I set the desired temperature, it keeps the temperature at 100 degrees. The temperature control mode makes no difference.

I assume that the general operation is much quieter with a circulating pump handling the temperature regulation. Is that true?
Except during filter cycles, when the pump runs anyway.

can you do a field install of the circulating pump?
I can, but I've been doing this for a while. Post pics of equipment area and maybe I can help.
Doing this yourself might VOID YOUR WARRANTY, so check with your dealer or manufacturer about diy installation. Many require a "certified technician", so your dealer in most cases, during warranty. I am not sure if bullfrog is one of those or not.
It does not matter to which value I set the desired temperature, it keeps the temperature at 100 degrees. The temperature control mode makes no difference.
A spa has no way to cool itself, but should heat up to set temperature. If it is not, contact your dealer if under warranty.

Reactions: DavisGentry
Except during filter cycles, when the pump runs anyway.

I can, but I've been doing this for a while. Post pics of equipment area and maybe I can help.
Doing this yourself might VOID YOUR WARRANTY, so check with your dealer or manufacturer about diy installation. Many require a "certified technician", so your dealer in most cases, during warranty. I am not sure if bullfrog is one of those or not.

A spa has no way to cool itself, but should heat up to set temperature. If it is not, contact your dealer if under warranty.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I will have the dealer send a tech to do the install if it is possible. Just occurred to me - does the main pump have to cut on to increase water temperature? If so, the recirculating pump doesn't help and we'll have to move the hot tub as in winter it will cut on at night. I should clarify - the tub heats UP to desired temperature, but sometimes will not shut off until long after the setpoint is reached. There will be a message "Spa is cooling to 80 degrees" if 80 is the setpoint but the actual is 100. Don't know if it is a bug or that is something with the filter cycle.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will have the dealer send a tech to do the install if it is possible. Just occurred to me - does the main pump have to cut on to increase water temperature? If so, the recirculating pump doesn't help and we'll have to move the hot tub as in winter it will cut on at night. I should clarify - the tub heats UP to desired temperature, but sometimes will not shut off until long after the setpoint is reached. There will be a message "Spa is cooling to 80 degrees" if 80 is the setpoint but the actual is 100. Don't know if it is a bug or that is something with the filter cycle.

A number of things.

Installing a circulating pump is more than the physical installation of the pump. You have to change the setting to let the spa controller know you have a circulation pump.

Check your setting for what mode your are in. There are filtration scheduled and HEATING schedules too. For example I have my tub (Bullfrog A6) set to 102F, but I also have it set to indicate that I use it weekday evenings and morning, and all day on weekends. That means that during the day on weekdays the tub will let the temperature drift down up to 20F below the setpoint. It sounds like this is what your tub is doing. You have it set to 100F and it says it is "Cooling to 80F". I suspect you have your tub in Vacation mode - which is temp reduced by 20F below the setpoint all the time, and it filters at 8:00 PM for 3 hours.

If you put it in Standard Beginner then it will keep it at its set point all of the time, and filter for 1.5 Hours at 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM

You can change the filter times and durations as well as when Economy Mode (the 20F below the setpoint) times.

BF says you should filter your tub twice a day for 2 hours if you do not have a circulation pump

If you do have a circulation pump they recommend two 6 hours filter sessions (since the pump moves less water)

You could set your schedule so the tub filters at times when you are not sleeping, and set economy mode to start just before you are sleeping and end when you wake up. That way the tub will not filter when you are asleep. It will also run the temp up just before you go to bed, and will not fire the heater until you wake up unless the tub drops by 20F, which does not usually happen. Even in the 0F temps we had this winter I don't think mine dropped to 80F with the heat off during the middle of the day.

Check your setting for what mode your are in. There are filtration scheduled and HEATING schedules too. For example I have my tub (Bullfrog A6) set to 102F, but I also have it set to indicate that I use it weekday evenings and morning, and all day on weekends. That means that during the day on weekdays the tub will let the temperature drift down up to 20F below the setpoint. It sounds like this is what your tub is doing. You have it set to 100F and it says it is "Cooling to 80F". I suspect you have your tub in Vacation mode - which is temp reduced by 20F below the setpoint all the time, and it filters at 8:00 PM for 3 hours.

You could set your schedule so the tub filters at times when you are not sleeping, and set economy mode to start just before you are sleeping and end when you wake up. That way the tub will not filter when you are asleep. It will also run the temp up just before you go to bed, and will not fire the heater until you wake up unless the tub drops by 20F, which does not usually happen. Even in the 0F temps we had this winter I don't think mine dropped to 80F with the heat off during the middle of the day.
I think I discovered why it is cutting on in the middle of the night - there is a line in the manual that says the pump has to run for 1-2 minutes to get a good water temperature reading. 1-2 minutes is about what is occurring. So I suspect it is pumping enough water every few hours to make sure that the temperature is within range.

I've tried vacation, beginner, and high economy modes, and set the filter times appropriately for what we want. Thanks for the circulation pump filter time info - that's good to know. And I was very happy to hear about the temperature staying that high even at 0 degrees!

there is a line in the manual that says the pump has to run for 1-2 minutes to get a good water temperature reading.
It's called "polling", and it is moving the (presumeably cooler) water in the pipes away from the sensors so they can get an accurate reading. I'm not very familiar with this particular system, but it may turn this off in economy mode.

I think I discovered why it is cutting on in the middle of the night - there is a line in the manual that says the pump has to run for 1-2 minutes to get a good water temperature reading. 1-2 minutes is about what is occurring. So I suspect it is pumping enough water every few hours to make sure that the temperature is within range.

I've tried vacation, beginner, and high economy modes, and set the filter times appropriately for what we want. Thanks for the circulation pump filter time info - that's good to know. And I was very happy to hear about the temperature staying that high even at 0 degrees!

Mine does that as well, and it is as @RDspaguy says. Cold water will lay in the pipes. Next time is cold out, turn on your jets, and then turn on the water feature and feel the temp of the water that initially comes out of the water feature. It will be much cooler until the hot water gets circulated through.

That is another thing I recommend. We don't use the water feature that much, but I do make sure to turn it on every so often just so treated water is circulated through it.

If the equipment cabinet side is closer to the window, turning the tub 180 degrees might help?

Edit: Also, possibly standing up a sheet of foam insulation over the window seems like a possible option (or both)...

If the equipment cabinet side is closer to the window, turning the tub 180 degrees might help?

Edit: Also, possibly standing up a sheet of foam insulation over the window seems like a possible option (or both)...
Or a double (or triple) glazed window. Or heavy drapes.

Reactions: Methuselah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.