Fiberglass

Good Morning,

I'm hoping someone can help me with some advice and answer some of my questions.

We have a pool (60sqm2) that is of concrete construction that has been painted over the years the paint is now very flaky and I don't feel it should be painted again. I'm hoping fibreglass will give me long team solution. Would you recommend this if so how would you feel we best go about it.

Im of the understanding Isophthalic resin would be the best to use, I'm also not sure about priming the paint/concrete the more I look in to it the more confused I become. It's all confusing as some quotes say to use Casting Resin or resin mixed with 5% Styren also G4 has been mentioned which seems very expensive.
Where to find the Pool Mosaic/boarder to go under a clear pool coat (what is pool coat?) ?
I have attached a couple of photos so you can see my next challenge to get the pool up and running for next year.
IMG_20200807_112406.jpg IMG_20200807_112434.jpg

Greetings from across the pond. I don’t know about what you have available for choices, but in the States they removed the chemicals that made the paint durable for environmental reasons. France is far more advanced with being eco friendly, so you guys probably have even more watered down paints/resins. They don’t last but a year or two and it’s a big project to keep redoing.

Fiberglass would seem like a more durable solution to make up for the added cost.

@jimmythegreek any ideas ?

What @kimkats said. Except... If there is existing plaster under that paint, do a full chip out (not just blast) and put in a beautiful 20+ year pebble-type finish. Do it right, do it once. Then, maximize it's longevity using TFP pool care methods. I like these two ideas because it's exactly what I did!

I was also able to do a little light remodeling: I removed my floor drains and added eyeball returns. In some cases you can do a bit more, like adding a bench or a hand rail, etc. Make the pool your own.

I think you need to make sure those "cracks" on the bottom are just on the surface. The structure is fine.. plaster away!
Good catch. Is this pool a good candidate for a liner? Just scrape off the flakes, patch the cracks, and throw in a liner, bob's yer uncle?

This would be tough with a liner due to the stairs. I'd have it laser measured if that's the path you take. I agree with kimkats a full chip out amd a plaster job. Way too much can go wrong with a fiberglass job out in the field

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.