Fiberglass skimmer

Miner1979

Apr 28, 2020
Riverview FL
I have a question 1st time pool owner and we've had such great responses from some lash concerns I'd like to reach out again. Are there different skimmer types gun night versus fiberglass are there different sizes as one required for fiberglass only concerned because our builder cut our skimmer short and I'm wondering if I can buy a different skimmer a larger a skimmer so I can allow my water level to be higher and sell have good performance from the skimmer

There are different style and size skimmers from the major pool manufacturers. It is hard for me to imagine what you want to do.

Post some pics showing the problem you are looking to solve.

Yeah I think what you're saying it's it was cut low, so water level needs to be low to not be above the skimmer. On my second fiberglass I bought my own skimmer and had them install it. I asked for it to be cut at the top but they wouldn't do it and said it would void warranty as the fiberglass pool needed some space above to still maintain strength. I did have it as high as he would go. That all being said you can buy a bigger one and cut a bit higher but don't cut the top of the pool shell. They do sell skimmer made for fiberglass.

Reactions: Miner1979
Yeah I think what you're saying it's it was cut low, so water level needs to be low to not be above the skimmer. On my second fiberglass I bought my own skimmer and had them install it. I asked for it to be cut at the top but they wouldn't do it and said it would void warranty as the fiberglass pool needed some space above to still maintain strength. I did have it as high as he would go. That all being said you can buy a bigger one and cut a bit higher but don't cut the top of the pool shell. They do sell skimmer made for fiberglass.
Thank you, if not the water level will be below the top step and looks terrible. Now inewd to nope the builder will be willing to do that or perhaps give credit back so I can have someone else do it for us, any idea what a job like that soukd be about.

Do you know what manufacturer and model skimmer is installed now?

As was said above, I don‘t know how much material is needed to remain above the skimmer to maintain integrity of the pool. That is a different designed skimmer mouth then used in gunite pools because you need to plate round it to anchor it into the fiberglass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miner1979
Its hard to tell from the picture but I wonder
1. it looks like you have two skimmers.
2. It looks like they both may be mounted at same distance from top of pool
3. It looks like one is underwater while other is at proper level. I would first measure distance from top edge of pool to each skimmer. If this is the same then it's your pool that is not level. Whether it's the pool out of level or the skimmer cut too low this is the fault of the contractor and time for them to reset the pool (if not level) or replace the pool (if they cut the hole in wrong place).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.