Fiberglass Pool stains??

Mar 3, 2018
Salado/TX
Started cleaning my pool a couple weeks ago to open it for the summer. Once I got the water cleared up I found what appears to be dark brown or black stains at the bottom of my fiberglass pool. Full disclosure, the water did get pretty dirty during the spring. I've scrubbed/brushed with no success. Last summer we noticed a little scale build up in our pool, and wonder if the stains are scale that is discolored. I reduced my pH to 6.8 and brushed but was unable to lift the stains. I'm doing a SLAM at the moment in case its some sort of algae.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 29
Looks like copper stains.

Sounds like you closed your pool over the winter huh? Did you add algaecides to the water before closing? Well water would normally be a red flag (iron), but I wasn't aware of the Edwards Aquifer having excessive metals in it. But if you have any questions about testing for stains or products you might have added to the water in the past just let us know.

Sprinkle a bit of calcium hypochlorite on the stains. If it doesn't work it won't hurt anything, just put the rest into the pool. It can remove many stains from fiberglass.

DO NOT mix it with any other chemicals other than in the pool, very nasty product.

Started cleaning my pool a couple weeks ago to open it for the summer. Once I got the water cleared up I found what appears to be dark brown or black stains at the bottom of my fiberglass pool. Full disclosure, the water did get pretty dirty during the spring. I've scrubbed/brushed with no success. Last summer we noticed a little scale build up in our pool, and wonder if the stains are scale that is discolored. I reduced my pH to 6.8 and brushed but was unable to lift the stains. I'm doing a SLAM at the moment in case its some sort of algae.

Thoughts or suggestions?
I have a new fiberglass pool as well and coming out of my first "off" season I noticed brown spots at the bottom and steps of my pool. Looking closer it looks as if something metal was left on concrete for months and allowed to rust and removed but left a stain behind. I brushed it with my regular pool brush with little to no success. Because its mine, I know nothing has been left on the bottom of the pool except my Dolphin pool cleaner and I know that leaves no spots. Backround info - my pool stays open year round because I have a heater that I use to keep it warm during the winter, although it does not get used nearly as much as the summer. I am OCD about keeping my pool chemistry in check so there is never an imbalance in my chemistry except right after a big rainstorm, and I quickly get that fixed right after. I use algicide every 4 days as needed. So what causes those brown spots? I have NO IDEA but I can tell you how I got them off. I used those green scouring pads, Scotch Brite pads I think they are called. I did not use a lot of pressure, and they disappeared. The ones on the bottom of the deep end were a lot harder because its hard to stay on the bottom while I scrub but they came off eventually. There are some other areas of whiteish discoloration on the sidewalls that looks like its within the fiberglass itself and I doubt its fixable but its rather minor and not worth troubling over. Good luck.

Update: the stains are organic. I placed a 3" trichlor puck on a couple spots and it lifted the stain where the puck was in contact. Now that I confirmed the stains to be organic, what is the best means to remove the rest of the stains?

To remove organic stains raise the Free Chlorine up between 60% and 100% of shock level for your Cyanuric Acid, Chlorine / CYA Chart, and brush often, daily if you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.