Fiberglass or Vinyl Liner?

Valley Girl

Jun 27, 2023
Chester County, PA
Hi - I am new to this forum. Trying to decide between fiberglass pool (16 x 33 ft) or vinyl liner pool ( 14 x 34 at narrow end to 18 x 34 at wide end). Would like to know from folks who have them the pros and cons of each. Is it true that the fiberglass pool is actually a lot smaller then the dimensions?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: My FG pool is 16 x 40. You can see it in my signature. Good size. As for pros & cons, I'll say that with fiberglass you don't have to worry about tearing. There are many gelcoat colors, shell shapes/sizes, and other options are available. The only con I can think of is the potential for the gelcoat to fade a bit over time. Not all gelcoats do it, but some do for some reason.

Vinyl is very popular due to many available prints/patterns. Biggest con (IMO) is that they are susceptible to tearing. Vinyl also has a limited lifespan, perhaps of around 10 - 15 years or so depending on how well the chemistry was maintained.

There may be other pros & cons I'm missing. Others will reply I'm sure.

Also see -------------> Pool Care Basics

Welcome to TFP! :wave: My FG pool is 16 x 40. You can see it in my signature. Good size. As for pros & cons, I'll say that with fiberglass you don't have to worry about tearing. There are many gelcoat colors, shell shapes/sizes, and other options are available. The only con I can think of is the potential for the gelcoat to fade a bit over time. Not all gelcoats do it, but some do for some reason.

Vinyl is very popular due to many available prints/patterns. Biggest con (IMO) is that they are susceptible to tearing. Vinyl also has a limited lifespan, perhaps of around 10 - 15 years or so depending on how well the chemistry was maintained.

There may be other pros & cons I'm missing. Others will reply I'm sure.

Also see -------------> Pool Care Basics
thank you for this info. Is it true that the 16 foot width is really more like 14 feet of swim space?

Is it true that the 16 foot width is really more like 14 feet of swim space?
I've not heard that before. Our pool was advertised as 16 x 40 and it's basically just that. About 3.5' in the shallow and almost 7' in the deep.

Can I ask what color you chose?
It was called Maya Blue.

The bond beam around the top of the shell is typically about 6" wide, give or take. So that would take 12" off the stated dimensions. Approximately. Depends on manufacturer.

Hi Valley, fellow Chester County neighbor! I would research Fiberglass pools in our climate. When we built 3-4 years ago, one of our perspective builders cautioned us on Fiberglass because of our freeze/thaw cycle in the Northeast, which could have a negative effect on the fiberglass pool(shifting and such). He could have just wanted to sell us on vinyl, but I didn't get the impression he was lying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another potential issue with fiberglass pools is blistering and cracking of the gelcoat after a few years. Having had a fiberglass wall ("hybrid") pool, I would never have another because of this. Not a fan of liner pools, either. Is gunite not an option?

We chose Fiberglass for the easy care and maintenance. Hearing how vinyl liners have to be replaced and gunite replastered (saw some ugly stains) we were concerned about future costs. We’ve had it only 4-years but are happy with our decision.

I don't know what the difference in costs are today. When I built my first pool in 2006, I picked vinyl over fiberglass and gunite. It came down to costs. Fiberglass was about $20k higher at the time. I calculated I could replace the liner 4 times for that cost difference. That's about 50 years before vinyl would be higher (ignoring rebuilding any walls). I determined I likely wouldn't still own the house by then. I ended up only replacing the liner once before selling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Portermacc
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.