FC vs CYA chart location

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
73.72% to 68.33%

4,258 to 5,177
^^^^This is why^^^^

Over the last year or so I’ve been very closely watching all the Pool School pages and the numbers associated with each. This article over time has been our most viewed article but with a catch……it hasn’t retained users well. In fact, this article has ranked towards the lower end in terms of retention.

Last year in March the old FC/CYA page had a bounce rate of roughly 74% when looking at new users. If this was a new users first exposure to TFP…..odds say you were leaving in a matter of seconds. This caused TFP to somewhat penalized by the Google Search algorithm as users will basically telling Google…..this page isn’t what I want, thus in returned Google stopped showing the page on many popular terms. While the Summer months did see some improvements in the Bounce Rate, it wasn’t much. It was very clear to me, the page was fairing very poorly at retaining members. I had started racking my brain at various ways to improve this page and its effectiveness.

Then came a discussion behind the scenes as some felt the average user wasn’t understanding the chart as well as they should. The concern was some users were targeting chlorine levels that were a bit low, and the idea of altering the chart was tossed out there. This would have made the 3rd change in 7 years to the chart to try and get users target certain levels…..it made me start to wonder if maybe the chart was the best approach to “serve up this info” to a new user.

Over a month or two span I talked to a few UX/UI designers who tossed out some suggestions to improve the usability of the page and one suggestion really stood out, there’s a TON of info inside of the chart and not much context. Did the new user really need all that info? Did the new user really need to know a target chlorine value for a CYA level of 80 if their CYA was 40? In my eyes…..no, they don’t.

This caused us to make multiple changes to the page including the big one……changing the chart format. These changes were made in an effort to retain new users and help show them the info they needed in an effective manner. Our goal was to show them what their chlorine level should be while enticing them to read additional content on TFP. So far, it’s worked.

So far we’ve seen an improvement of 5% in terms of retention while still showing the users their levels. It is my hope this number drops more as we hit the Summer months and a flood of new users appear. Only time will tell. Additionally during this time the page has seen an an increase of 1,000 views from New Users and an additional 1,500 views overall. Looking at all users (not just the newbs) we’ve seen the bounce rate drop from 69% last March to below 60% this year. All this while the average time a user spent on the page decreased by almost a minute.

I greatly wish to give this page time to develop as we look at improving long term. It is my hope improvements focusing on modern design, SEO keywords, and a simplified user experience will pay off over time. I understand that some members of the community might not prefer the changes right away. However, I hope everyone will continue to give the update time to be fully utilized and improved upon. As users become more accustomed to the new design and features, I believe that they will find greater value in the improved user experience.

Oh whatever.... I heard the real story is that Leslie himself came to Lebo's house and dumped a bunch of Floc in his pool. Then threatened if he didn't take down the FC/CYA chart that we may lose yet another moderator to a tragic SWCG explosion.

Oh whatever.... I heard the real story is that Leslie himself came to Lebo's house and dumped a bunch of Floc in his pool. Then threatened if he didn't take down the FC/CYA chart that we may lose yet another moderator to a tragic SWCG explosion.
This does sound more likely. /nod

• Haha
Reactions: JJ_Tex and mknauss
College Accuse GIF

So as a not so "new" user but also not an expert, I like the chart because it took less clicks to find the info I needed. The only time I reference the chart is when I test CYA and it has changed. So for me, I will print out one of the charts above and leave it in my test kit.

I do appreciate what your trying to do in retaining new users. It looks like the decision you made is to inconvenience the old and current members in order to retain new members which may turn into more "supporters". As one of those that is inconvenienced I will say you are absolutely are making the right decision. And I appreciate you taking the time to type out the explanation above which you certainly did now owe anyone. I hope for the continued success of this site and forum because you really have helped me and countless others gain control of our pools and liberate us for the pool stores and services. Keep up the good work behind the scenes!

I hope for the continued success of this site and forum because you really have helped me and countless others gain control of our pools
TIA for any of your help, or anyone else reading this as well. We all got to where we are exactly like you. At some point, we knew some answers and pitched in to pay the help we received forward. Well. Except for the Martybot. He hit the ground running one day 1 with everything pre programmed. But yeah. Keep at it. (y)

• Haha
Reactions: mknauss
73.72% to 68.33%

4,258 to 5,177
^^^^This is why^^^^

Over the last year or so I’ve been very closely watching all the Pool School pages and the numbers associated with each. This article over time has been our most viewed article but with a catch……it hasn’t retained users well.

Data analysis can be very hard stuff. Just can't help but wonder where the traffic came from. If I advise someone to maintain a minimum and linked them to the chart (before it was removed), did they go there, save a link, and come back from "the internet" when they needed to view it again, did they print it and never go back, did they read other articles, did they fix their "issues" and just not come back because that's what most folks tend to do (fix an issue, say thanks, and be on their way).

I do know I tend (prefer) to explain or at least see someone else did, the relationship and caveats. I'm not sure any single webpage would work for that without going back and forth with someone never seeing it before and them not having an open dialog during the learning process.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with how you should or should not run your website, after all, it's your site.

Reactions: DeadAquaRite

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.