FC level

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
Hi, I have been following TFP for a few year, but experiencing algae on occasion. In closer study, I see that I have not been holding my FC probably high enough because I had very high CYA. I have drained the pool and now have CYA at 30, and try to keep FC at 4-6 (CC=0). It seems to be taking more chlorine per day to maintain this than before. So my question is at high FC levels does the chlorine burn off quicker? In other words, If I used 1/2 gallon per day before at FC lower, will I project to use more than 1/2 gallon going forward to maintain FC=6?

You need to raise your CYA some. As the UV impact increases, a bit more CYA will make a big difference. Add 10 ppm worth of CYA and then monitor. You may want to get to 50 ppm CYA by mid summer.

If your FC loss exceeds 2-4 ppm per day, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Reactions: wireform
Joe,

Depending on your location, their is nothing wrong with running a higher CYA to compensate for the amount of FC that is being burned off by the sun.. A lot of people in AZ and TX have their CYA at 50 or so..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
Its burning off faster now that you only have a CYA value of 30 which is ok for LC but you'll be a slave in your location when the heat of summer kicks in. You will need a higher CYA value even with LC to slow the burn off process. Your best bet would be converting to SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.