FC lasting long time since Changing some things

May 21, 2010
I am confused on some things and would like to know if a few things will affect consumption of chlorine. When I first started my abg pool i had a cya of around 60 and would run my fc at night up to about 10 or 11 by night night i would be around 2. Needless to say i was adding bleach like crazy. I purchased a intes swg to help with this. here is what all I changed. also drop test had been fine and no CC and at most .5 Cc

cya dropped do to having to add water- from 60 to 50
lowered TA to from 150 maybe even higher being i wasnt reading test right to now 80
ph was 7.5 now 7.2 trying to get back to 7.5 after lowering Ta.
Went from 300ppm salt to 3200 when changing to salt water.

I havent ran the Swg In 3 days and its been just as hot and sunny and same swimming times for the most part. I have only been loosing around 1 to 2ppm a day at a lower cya. Im not complaining just wander if ph, Ta, and salt can affect these things. Maybe I should stay at 7.2 ph? Tell me what you all think

What are you testing with?

While it's certainly possible to lose only 1 to 2 ppm per day it's suspicous to have it happen all of a sudden. Unless you had organics consuming your FC and now you've killed them all off. That would explain the sudden decrease in FC loss.

That would explain the sudden decrease in FC loss.
I think bama has the answer.

I say it all the time and sound like a stuck record......two things consume chlorine.....1) organics (algae, etc.) in your pool and 2)sunlight.

Since the sunlight is still the same (roughly) , organics, likely algae, is the most obvious choice. The things you changed have virtually no effect on chlorine.

Testing error is a possibility but you seem to be testing regularly and without difficulty so I would doubt it.

tf100 and i have upgraded my testing skills a little due to things I have read on here. I wasnt holding dropper upright and im now wiping with wet cloth as well as not doing multiple drops at one time. I was having perfect drop test before when I was losing alot of fc, but the decrease in loss seemed to get better at same time i converted to swg and when I shocked the heck out of it cause of having a my boys pool party.

AS an aside, most folks find that wiping the dropper tip only occurs somewhere around the first month you own the kit. I don't know exactly why, but that static issue seems to go away once you've had the kit for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.