FC consumption

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I guess this the forum to post this question.

I like the phrase I saw the other day trouble free doesn't mean maintenance free. I guess I had been relying on my SWG too much to keep things going.

I have been going over my logs. 14 days ago, my FC was 10.5 and stayed that way for several days and I turned down my SWG

Fast forward to the past 9 days:
May 27 5.0
May 29, 5.0
May 30, 3.0 - added 41 oz 12% bleach
June 2, 3.0 - added 145 oz bleach (prepped for 15 teenagers pool party)
June 5, 3.0 added 41oz

I think I missed a couple days on my phone but I do keep a paper log. But you get the idea.

It's now hot and I know sun eats chlorine. BUT how much do I rely on my SWG and how much bleach should I be putting in??? it seems like I've been doing a lot of bleach adding.
1. Should i crank the SWG up? If so to what?
2. how often should I be adding bleach???

Crank the SWG up. With the exception of the prep for the party, you should be able to rely on it.

What is your CYA?

Is your SWG sized right? What size pool is it meant for?

If you can crank it up, do so. If that still isn't enough you need to rule out something in the water chewing your chlorine up. Also know you can turn up your pump run time too to get more fc.

Maddie :flower:

Crank the SWG up. With the exception of the prep for the party, you should be able to rely on it.

What is your CYA?

It was 75 three days ago. I have been keeping up with the FC more bc it's not stable

- - - Updated - - -

Is your SWG sized right? What size pool is it meant for?

If you can crank it up, do so. If that still isn't enough you need to rule out something in the water chewing your chlorine up. Also know you can turn up your pump run time too to get more fc. The pool is a new build and the SWG is sized correctly according to outside sources. The pump runs 12 hours a day with it cranked from 9 to 4 at 2500 RPM for the SWG.

the SWG was at 40. we cranked it to 60. Just don't know where the sweet spot is for it and how much "help" it should get via bleach.

It was 75 three days ago. I have been keeping up with the FC more bc it's not stable

- - - Updated - - -

the SWG was at 40. we cranked it to 60. Just don't know where the sweet spot is for it and how much "help" it should get via bleach.

I never add a single drop of bleach. My SWCG generates all that I need. It should be that way for you as well unless you are having a part or something. Don't be afraid to overshoot the target level by a few points it will drift back down on its own.

Poolgate, I don't know how you do that. When we first opened the pool the SWG was at 10 -- too high and we turned it down. It took over 2 days for the FC to come down. Then we got warm and it takes too long for the FC to go up on its own with heat factor here. Our pool is 90F right now with the sun beating on it. I just turned the SWG up and hopefully that will take care of it. It's really hard to find that sweet spot.

Poolgate, I don't know how you do that. When we first opened the pool the SWG was at 10 -- too high and we turned it down. It took over 2 days for the FC to come down. Then we got warm and it takes too long for the FC to go up on its own with heat factor here. Our pool is 90F right now with the sun beating on it. I just turned the SWG up and hopefully that will take care of it. It's really hard to find that sweet spot.

Oh yeah it took some time to dial it in - a couple months. At one point I was at around 15. I think my cell is putting out more chlorine than advertised. It finally settled on 50-58% for maintenance level. I did turn it off for 3 days when it got to 15 that one time. Lowest I got was right at the minimum for my CYA. I almost added some liquid bleach but held off and it was fine. I do keep a few gallons just in case. I try to run around 10% of CYA now (70/7). It was 8 yesterday so I reduced the output to 51%. Mine is settable via cell phone and computer though so it is really easy to change. Also my pump runs 24x7 at a speed sufficient to run the SWCG so that helps a lot making it consistent.

When I *need* instant rise in FC (such as when the baby pooped in the pool) I used bleach. Perhaps before/after a big pool party, since I know the SWG works slowly.

As the weather gets hotter and sunnier, I tweak the SWG up a bit to help *maintain* a desired FC, based on testing. Avoid using the superboost option as that just wears out the cell all the faster. Make sure your CYA is at the right level for your climate and situation.

I haven't used any bleach this summer yet.

You learn your pool's rhythm and it takes a bit of time.

DMS,

My pool is never "stable"... I just don't care if my FC is a little on the high side.. I use the "Target" FC level as my unofficial minimum...

It seems like I have to adjust a lot right at the beginning of the season, and then again at the end of the pool season, but not that much during the middle of the summer.

I also never add bleach except in the winter.

You did not say, but how long are you running your pump/SWCG each day??? What size and brand SWCG do you have??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DMS,

My pool is never "stable"... I just don't care if my FC is a little on the high side.. I use the "Target" FC level as my unofficial minimum...

It seems like I have to adjust a lot right at the beginning of the season, and then again at the end of the pool season, but not that much during the middle of the summer.

I also never add bleach except in the winter.

You did not say, but how long are you running your pump/SWCG each day??? What size and brand SWCG do you have??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I It runs at 1875 from 7 to 7 and from 9-4 at 2500 for the SWG. that's what the builder set it up to and no one has told me any different, including the guys who came and serviced it AND replaced the pump. I thought I had asked a question in antoher thread a while ago about how long is good and HOW do you know but I couldn't find it.....I don't know how big it is. Everything is Hayward.

Can you find the model number on the SWG and post it?

After determining that we can help figure out how much the SWG will produce a day. With that info you can use the following calculator to determine how long and what percentage to run it at.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/122980-Formula-for-SWG-Pump-Runtime

my pool gets full sun all day and my FC consumption is about 2ppm right now. I’m expecting as it gets hotter they may go up so I’ll adjust my % if I see a bigger drop.

I It runs at 1875 from 7 to 7 and from 9-4 at 2500 for the SWG. that's what the builder set it up to and no one has told me any different, including the guys who came and serviced it AND replaced the pump. I thought I had asked a question in antoher thread a while ago about how long is good and HOW do you know but I couldn't find it.....I don't know how big it is. Everything is Hayward.

I "assume" you have the T-15 cell... In your pool this will generate .37 ppm of FC per hour... With the cell at 100%

If you are only running your cell for 7 hours per day, that is 2.6 ppm at 100% output or 1.3 ppm at 50% output.

Most pools use between 2 and 4 ppm a day...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I searched all my pool stuff and it doesn’t say so I took a pic of it. Hopefully this will tell u what u need to know - even my paperwork said just “gold standard” SWG I am trying to attach a photo but it’s not letting me
75a38360898ad6b663ae47a38823c106.jpg
I did it again. BTW my salt test says my salt is 3200 not 34 like it says on the screen

dms,

Then what did you mean when you said "It runs at 1875 from 7 to 7 and from 9-4 at 2500 for the SWG." :confused:

But it matters little as you can use the .37 ppm number to figure out just how long and at what percentage you want to run your SWCG. I would set it so that you generate about 3 ppm of FC per day.. Then adjust up or down as needed... Much easier to start high and come down.

Thanks,

Jim R.

hey, my picture finally showed up 2 days later! and I just noticed it says 3500 but the other day it said 3400. Anyway, my test I ran said it was 3200. AND we are about to have to put water in again BUT we are supposed to have rain so I will wait until tomorrow...

Jimrahbe,
I read what you wrote but I stink at math or anything like math. To answer your question, My pump runs 7 a.m to 7 p.m. at 1875 rpm except for the 9 a.m to 4 a.m. it runs at 2500 rpm for the SWG. This is how the PB set it up for the SWG to do its thing. Right now our SWG is at 60%. FC tested at 5 yesterday. I will see if it stays there. If it's lower today, then i ASSume I need to bump it a bit....???

dms,

The cell either works or not... If it works at 1875 rpm, it makes no difference to the SWCG if you increase the speed to 2500 or not...

So the question is .. does you cell work at 1875 rpm? If you don't get low flow warnings at 1875, then you have to assume the cell is working. This mean you are running the cell for 12 hours a day... (Nothing wrong with that, I run mine 24/7.)

Your FC will fluctuate a little each day.. What you are looking for is a trend... If it continues to go down, you need to increase your output and/or increase your run time.

Jim R..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.