FC at Zero today!

Once I turned on my SWG, I see tiny bubbles coming out of the returns(Hydrogen gas?), almost like carbonation from a soda. Could be contributing to Ph rise, and unwanted aeration.

I’ll take the twice a week or so muriatic acid additions compared to daily liquid chlorine additions. I did the daily liquid chlorine for a month while the plaster was curing and don’t miss that.

I've never seen any bubbles from my returns. I don't really like the thought of 2x a week acid additions, when we go to Hawaii for 2 weeks sometimes.

I see bubbles from my returns, but only when my pump is running on low speed (1725 rpm). At high speed (3450 rpm) I don't see them.
That's a good point, that I wasn't thinking about earlier today when I did it. Too late now, but wish I'd have thought of that.
I'm betting you won't need to SLAM. You might just need to get the FC up quickly with LC and let the SWG take over again.

Nik,

Where are you trying to keep your pH??? Most SWCG pools like a pH of about 7.8.. If you are trying to keep your pH at 7.2, you are just causing yourself a lot more work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nik,

Where are you trying to keep your pH??? Most SWCG pools like a pH of about 7.8.. If you are trying to keep your pH at 7.2, you are just causing yourself a lot more work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't think I typed 7.2... Did I typo a 7.2 somewhere?

The thing is, with constantly raising PH, if I try and keep it at 7.8, I'd be worried I'd be over 8.0 in a day or two, so I typically will lower it to 7.5-7.6, so I at least have a little reprieve from worrying about getting to 8.0.

That being said, perhaps you recall from my other thread about my lame scale issue.... so I'm currently trying to keep the CSI rather low, usually -.3 to -.5 for a while and hopefully that will help me with my scale problem, so for now, I'm not targeting 7.8 at all, usually 7.6 or so, which gives me a nice negative CSI easier than 7.8 does.

(The scale thing was the result of a horrendous start-up of the pool chemistry, performed by the plaster company's recommended dude, and after 3 weeks it still wasn't balanced, things like PH, TA, etc etc all over the rollercoaster, never close to in balance, while I watched in horror and had to keep my lips sealed, since my builder was all about covering his own butt, instead of looking out for my pool, combined with the fact that he is clueless about pool chemistry)

The thing is, with constantly raising PH, if I try and keep it at 7.8, I'd be worried I'd be over 8.0 in a day or two, so I typically will lower it to 7.5-7.6, so I at least have a little reprieve from worrying about getting to 8.0.
The rate your pH rises is not linear. For mine, it goes up from 7.5 to 7.8 in just a few days, but will take weeks to go from 7.8 to 8.0 before I have to add acid. Give that a try and see if it lessens your headaches with acid.

If you don't want to keep it at 7.8 to 8.0 on a regular basis due to scaling concerns that is fine, but it should lessen your worry that you will come back to a pool with extremely high pH when you come back from vacation.

The rate your pH rises is not linear. For mine, it goes up from 7.5 to 7.8 in just a few days, but will take weeks to go from 7.8 to 8.0 before I have to add acid. Give that a try and see if it lessens your headaches with acid.

If you don't want to keep it at 7.8 to 8.0 on a regular basis due to scaling concerns that is fine, but it should lessen your worry that you will come back to a pool with extremely high pH when you come back from vacation.
Thank you so much for posting this, I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for posting this.

When you say 'weeks' how many weeks? On average
I would say 4-6 weeks between my acid additions. This is my 2nd full season with a pool, and I'm on bottle #3 of muriatic acid since the pool was filled.

One other thought is if you have a floater and some pucks, you can use that as well when you go on vacation. They are acidic and will help keep the pH at bay while you are gone. Just make sure you do not have high CYA already and you should have some wiggle room.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say 4-6 weeks between my acid additions. This is my 2nd full season with a pool, and I'm on bottle #3 of muriatic acid since the pool was filled.

One other thought is if you have a floater and some pucks, you can use that as well when you go on vacation. They are acidic and will help keep the pH at bay while you are gone. Just make sure you do not have high CYA already and you should have some wiggle room.
That's a good idea, for vacations, thanks.

Ok, so I checked FC last night after sunset, and it was 6.2, so I added more to get around 10. (I have no idea how strong my old bottles of Liquid Chlorine are/were, since I haven't used them in a month)... Then before bed, I checked again, and FC was 10.8 FC, and I just checked now around 6:15am, and pool is at 10.0 FC. (I like to do the 25ml / 0.2 test for better accuracy, typically)

CC still looks like zero, zilch. It looks like the FC went from 10.8 to 10.0.

Thoughts? Should I wait it out and do this again every day for a few days? Do I need a SLAM?

(SWCG was off, ever since I added the Liquid Chlorine yesterday afternoon, and is still off , just fyi)

+1. It’s way easier to maintain a slam just to be extra sure than it is to start the next one.

to be clear, You don’t *need* to. You passed the 3 criteria. Personally I don’t like to leave anything to chance, even a small chance, when it’s so easy to maintain the FC for an extra day.

+1. It’s way easier to maintain a slam just to be extra sure than it is to start the next one.

to be clear, You don’t *need* to. You passed the 3 criteria. Personally I don’t like to leave anything to chance, even a small chance, when it’s so easy to maintain the FC for an extra day.

What do you mean by "maintain a slam"? I think I'm far below slam levels.

Also, I'm wondering, does going from 10.8 to 10.0 count as passing criteria for the overnight test, as you said? Shouldn't I have wanted it to be 10.8 this morning, not 10.0?

What do you mean by "maintain a slam"? I think I'm far below slam levels
Whoopsie. I got my wires crossed that we were SLAMing. It’s just an OCLT. Apologies.
Also, I'm wondering, does going from 10.8 to 10.0 count as passing criteria for the overnight test, as you said? Shouldn't I have wanted it to be 10.8 this morning, not 10.0?
Up to 1 FC loss is acceptable for test error. You passed. (y)

Sounds like a good plan to me. Then you will want to ensure that your SWG is maintaining your FC; this entails knowing your daily FC consumption and the run time/% needed to accommodate that.

Did you ever find out why your FC dropped in the first place?

Sounds like a good plan to me. Then you will want to ensure that your SWG is maintaining your FC; this entails knowing your daily FC consumption and the run time/% needed to accommodate that.

Did you ever find out why your FC dropped in the first place?

I have no way of knowing, other than guessing my SWG percentage was apparently not high enough, and letting it go on it's own for a week wasn't smart...?

The thing is, i tested it and tweeked it multiple times for the better part of 3 weeks, before deciding to finally ease off and finally let the pool be 'trouble free' for the first time since filling it. And then a week later, 0 FC, lol.

Hopefully it just needed a raise in CYA, like somebody suggested earlier, and perhaps a SWG percentage boost.

It really makes no sense to me, because, like I said in a different thread, I was targeting FC of 7. In my ~3 weeks of tweeking SWG and testing FC, the range was 5.4 to 8.8, depending on how sunny it was on a given day, so it seemed safe. I always tested it between 8:30-9pm

Then all of a sudden, ZERO FC a week later. 🤷

I'm hoping it's not a possible problem with the SWG. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Newdude and DanF
I have no way of knowing, other than guessing my SWG percentage was apparently not high enough, and letting it go on it's own for a week wasn't smart...?

The thing is, i tested it and tweeked it multiple times for the better part of 3 weeks, before deciding to finally ease off and finally let the pool be 'trouble free' for the first time since filling it. And then a week later, 0 FC, lol.

Hopefully it just needed a raise in CYA, like somebody suggested earlier, and perhaps a SWG percentage boost.

It really makes no sense to me, because, like I said in a different thread, I was targeting FC of 7. In my ~3 weeks of tweeking SWG and testing FC, the range was 5.4 to 8.8, depending on how sunny it was on a given day, so it seemed safe. I always tested it between 8:30-9pm

Then all of a sudden, ZERO FC a week later. 🤷

I'm hoping it's not a possible problem with the SWG. I guess we'll see.

Checking in... FC was 10.0 at 11pm, and 9.6 5min ago (6:15am), so ..... Hopefully I'm good. Zero clue how I was Zero FC.

Turning SWG back on now. Hope it's working!

Reactions: DanF and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.