FC and CYA - Ready for swimming?

RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hi Everyone and Happy Pool Season!

My FC is 9.0, no CC, and my CYA is negligible. Two questions Is 9 swimmable and I'm planning to add CYA with liquid conditioner. Is that the best way to go? Should I wait to stabilize CYA before swimming?

Thanks!
Robert

I would add the stabilizer before swimming. A FC of 9 without CYA is very harsh. To your skin and swim clothes.

It’s said here that if FC is in between minimum and SLAM level according to your CYA level, then it’s safe to swim (assuming water is clear). Refer to this chart.

If your CYA is below 20, I would add CYA before swimming as you’re FC likely above SLAM level for your CYA level.

That 9 will be a 5 in a few hours without any CYA. It might be harsh on eyes, hair, and swimsuits right now. It won't melt skin. If you have to get in to retrieve something, do it. But I would be wary of letting kids in to swim. In a couple hours it will be more swimmable. Just add the CYA. If you haven't already bought the liquid, don't. The granular doesn't take all that long to dissolve if it's placed in a good flow of water. A day or two. And it's much cheaper.

It’s said here that if FC is in between minimum and SLAM level according to your CYA level, then it’s safe to swim (assuming water is clear). Refer to this chart.

If your CYA is below 20, I would add CYA before swimming as you’re FC likely above SLAM level for your CYA level.
Thank you!

That 9 will be a 5 in a few hours without any CYA. It might be harsh on eyes, hair, and swimsuits right now. It won't melt skin. If you have to get in to retrieve something, do it. But I would be wary of letting kids in to swim. In a couple hours it will be more swimmable. Just add the CYA. If you haven't already bought the liquid, don't. The granular doesn't take all that long to dissolve if it's placed in a good flow of water. A day or two. And it's much cheaper.
Thank you!
Thank you!

Any reccomended brands for granulated CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi saturn94 (or anyone) do you know how much that 25lb puritwxh stabilizer usually goes for ? Amazon is out of stock and I’m curious what the price would have been ( as a baseline when I search elsewhere)

thank you!

I paid $47 for it last time I ordered (May 2019). It was still available a few days ago, but I see now it’s not. ☹️

Reactions: jdlw
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.