FC and CC

SomePoolGuy

Nov 17, 2019
Fayetteville, Nc
My mind is a bit blown, so I just wanted to double check and just ask.
Per the TFP method, I should keep my FC levels at the right level, per the chart somewhere on this site.

Question 1: If/when my CC levels rise above .5 then there's something going on and I need to SLAM. Otherwise, the CC gets burned off by the sun. Correct? Just trying to confirm 'where the CC goes.'

Question 2: Why does the pool industry tell everybody to shock the pool? Is it just $ ?

Thank you!

SPG,,

You should test your CC's and if they go above .5 for a few days in a row, then you can troubleshoot to see what the cause might be.. You only need to do a SLAM if you know or suspect that you have algae.. A couple of days with your CC's over .5 is not a major problem.. It just means you need to keep an eye on your pool balance.

For reference.. I have three saltwater pools that cumulatively have been under the TFP pool care process for about 19 years.. In that time I have never had to SLAM and I have never added even one bag of pool store shock...

If you follow this CYA to FC chart, you will never need to shock your pool... FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
My mind is a bit blown, so I just wanted to double check and just ask.
Per the TFP method, I should keep my FC levels at the right level, per the chart somewhere on this site.

FC/CYA Levels

Question 1: If/when my CC levels rise above .5 then there's something going on and I need to SLAM. Otherwise, the CC gets burned off by the sun. Correct? Just trying to confirm 'where the CC goes.'

CC's can come from various sources. You need to figure out what the source is before you take action. Read...

You should do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm you have an algae problem before the SLAM Process.

Question 2: Why does the pool industry tell everybody to shock the pool? Is it just $ ?

I have a cover on my pool. If I open it up and test soon after I might get a CC reading of 1. Give it a couple of hours sunlight and it may be down to 0.5 or 0. So basically I know its trapped Chloramines under the cover and once I give it a chance to "breath" and let some sun hit it it is going to be fine.

IF it remained higher than 0.5, I'd be looking for a reason. An Overnight Chlorine Loss Test could help me determine what the problem may be:
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Its all a matter of understanding what CCs are, and what they may be telling you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.