Faulty GFCI Breaker and problem pool store...could use some advice.

Breaker for feed to subpanel should be in main panel.

We have to see what this subpanel looks like.
I agree it should be in the main panel. Although I have seen where the main breaker in a panel looks like a normal breaker but it is actually the feed. That probably would not make a GFCI breaker work correctly if that was attempted though. who know maybe they put a main breaker on both ends. It is all a mystery until we actually get to see a picture :D

I agree it should be in the main panel. Although I have seen where the main breaker in a panel looks like a normal breaker but it is actually the feed. That probably would not make a GFCI breaker work correctly if that was attempted though. who know maybe they put a main breaker on both ends. It is all a mystery until we actually get to see a picture :D

There is a code requirement for a single shutoff for power at the subpanel if you have more than 6 breakers.

ok to be clear. this is a new pool and the electrical work is what came with the pool.
It is less than 60 days old. There is a breaker
that will not stay on. Every time I turn it on, it trips. Even with the pump off. My pool store and the electrician is basically telling me I need a new breaker and I have to pay for it but they will do the labor. The only thing connected to it is the pump and a timer.
Don’t even touch it. It is the pool builders responsibility, and can also affect the electricians license. If the suspect breaker is part of your original wiring, then its on you. Buy it and take advantage of his offer to install it. If its is new electrical, it’s on the builder.

Is the panel that the GFCI is located in direct sunlight? I installed one in an existing panel (west side of the house), and as soon as the afternoon sun hit the panel it would trip. I ended up routing the wiring through a subpanel in the basement where the GFCI is now located. Also, once the GFCI trips a few times, the get weak and trip very easily.

Don’t even touch it. It is the pool builders responsibility, and can also affect the electricians license. If the suspect breaker is part of your original wiring, then its on you. Buy it and take advantage of his offer to install it. If its is new electrical, it’s on the builder.
I had another electrician install the new switch and it runs fine now.
It was the original pool electricians work, and he refused to make it right (unless I would pay him to buy another new switch with NO WARRANTY). He's not ethical, nor is the store that recommended him. Live and learn.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.