FAS-DPD 1PPM test?

tlj3071

Silver Supporter
May 19, 2017
alto, ga
When slamming (which I've had to do twice this season - once to open, and once just this week when CC went > 1PPM), I use LOTS of R-0871, since at [e.g.] 25PPM FC, I need 50 drops of R-0871, potentially 3 or 4 times per day (morning test, 2 tests thru the day, and 1 evening test for my OCLT). This is at 0.5PPM/drop based on a 10ml sample. Is is reasonable to go with a 5 ml sample to yield a 1PPM/drop to reduce the amount of R-0871 I use? I would only use this during the day as the morning and evening OCLT samples need to be very accurate.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, during the SLAM Process you can use a 5 ml test as the margin of error it introduces is not a big deal during the SLAM proper. And you are absolutely correct that you want to go back to the 10 ml test when doing an OCLT. Your reasoning is spot-on!

You can try it. You give up some accuracy but at 25 ppm a 5 ml test will give you an idea where you are.

Test the same water at 10 ml and 5 ml and see how close they get.

Had to wait 'till this morning to get more R-0871, but here's the results:
FC = 18 (@0.5ppm/drop using a 10ml sample) vs 20 (@1ppm using a 5ml sample)
I tried to keep the bottom of the meniscus on the line in both cases. (I don't know how accurate either mark actually is, and might try figuring that out using a 1ml vet syringe). But I think this is close enough to use for non-OCLT measurements during SLAMing.
Just for completeness, here's the remainder of the water chemistry as tested this morning:
CC = <0.5
pH ~= 7.5 (I'll have to wait for FC to go down some to get a more accurate measurement)
TA = 100
CH = 110
CYA = 70
NaCl = 3000

P.S. I found TFP about 2 years ago while trying to figure out how to decrease TA without also reducing pH. This is the ONLY resource I found that had the answer - aeration. I've been a convert ever since. My water has never looked better, and I've saved LOTS of $ that would have gone into less-than-useless chemicals at the pool store.

P.S. I found TFP about 2 years ago while trying to figure out how to decrease TA without also reducing pH. This is the ONLY resource I found that had the answer - aeration. I've been a convert ever since. My water has never looked better, and I've saved LOTS of $ that would have gone into less-than-useless chemicals at the pool store.
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: cj133
Send some of that saved money to help TFP to maintain its high standard of pool care information

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.