Fan won't run on Jandy AE-Ti heater...any suggestions?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Came home after being away a few hours yesterday and discovered the fan wasn't running. Unit sort of smelled a bit odd too - like possibly overheating? Display said "air defrosting". Have never seen that notice nor had any problems before. Unit is 11 years old. After the coils defrosted, I tried it again with the same result. Problem is - all the local pool companies (including the one that did the installation) are busy closing pools. And yet now is the time I need the heater for these last few weeks here in PA! Any suggestions? I suppose there's little I can do.

A heat pump is a reverse AC system. Call an AC repair company and have them look at it.

Posted this on todays thread and then saw an earlier one. I am assuming that when it tries to heat that the compressor runs but the fan motor doesn't. There could be several causes for this and you would need to be comfortable troubleshooting it electrically with a multimeter. You would need to see if power is getting to the motor from the contactor. You would need to see if the run capacitor is good. You would need to check if there is continuity through the motor windings. You would need to check the motor bearings ( the motor shaft might have some play in/out along the axis of the shaft, but should not have side to side play opposite the axis of the shaft). So it could be a power problem, a capacitor problem or a motor/ bearing problem. Here is the manual for the unit with an exploded parts view and parts list: https://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/media/aemanual.pdf... I was looking online for parts prices and found that when ordering Jandy O.E.M. parts the prices are ridiculous for some common generic parts. As long as the specs on the motor or capacitor are the same... a motor/capacitor is a motor/capacitor and could be had for 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the Jandy O.E.M. part. A photo of the Tag on the motor would be helpful. As an alternative, you could have an HVAC company troubleshoot the unit to find the exact problem for a basic diagnostic fee and then either have them repair it or do it yourself if you feel comfortable after watching the technician take the unit apart and troubleshoot it. If you go this route, try to get a company that has NATE certified technicians as all HVAC technicians are not created equal (same goes for any household HVAC work). I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have. In this earlier thread saw that you mentioned an odor which may indicate that the motor windings are burnt. If you replace the motor, you should also replace the capacitor at the same time. You might try multiple HVAC contractors as not all of them feel comfortable working on a pool heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.