Family Member Dumped Algeacide instead of Shock in Pool

I can't remember: did you try putting a sock over the return opening to see if anything from the filter blows into the pool thru the return and gets caught in the sock?

Everything you describe about this stuff points to algae.
I've tried a sock, then I used a skimmer basket sock/cover, and then over that used one of the garden hose pool vacuum bags. They caught some stuff. Bigger pieces, like the size of the head of a pen.

I AGREE! It sounds and points to algea. But, as a test, I haven't run the filter for 4 days. I haven't added any chlorine. I haven't tested the FC level, I will tonight, but the spots haven't grown. The water is still clear.

I'm a newb, so please forgive my ignorance. But if this wasn't algae, wouldn't we expect it to be spreading? Why does it only happen when the filter runs? I would have expected a swamp by now. I didn't have time to grab photo's but I will and post. I do plan on collecting a sample tonight to show everyone. It's been a crazy last couple of days.

I've tried a sock, then I used a skimmer basket sock/cover, and then over that used one of the garden hose pool vacuum bags. They caught some stuff. Bigger pieces, like the size of the head of a pen.
Thanks for the reply.
Is the stuff in the bag the same as what's on the bottom of the pool?
I'm a newb, so please forgive my ignorance. But if this WAS algae, wouldn't we expect it to be spreading? Why does it only happen when the filter runs? I would have expected a swamp by now. I didn't have time to grab photo's but I will and post. I do plan on collecting a sample tonight to show everyone. It's been a crazy last couple of days.
Good question.
It looks like you meant WAS and yes we would expect it to be getting worse if the filter is not running and you are not adding chlorine. Is the water tinted at all. Sometimes it looks clear until the chlorine is at shock level then it looks cloudy if it's killing algae. I wondering if uncirculated water would cause it to not get worse. I know in my pool in the spring the water looks clear but there's an ever so slight tinge of green. When I SLAM, it gets a little cloudy then lots of dead algae on the bottom.
I'm not sure what else to look at.
Collecting the sample to look at up close might help. Can you get a sample of both the stuff in the sock from the return and the stuff on the bottom of the pool?

Thanks for the reply.
Is the stuff in the bag the same as what's on the bottom of the pool?

Good question.
It looks like you meant WAS and yes we would expect it to be getting worse if the filter is not running and you are not adding chlorine. Is the water tinted at all. Sometimes it looks clear until the chlorine is at shock level then it looks cloudy if it's killing algae. I wondering if uncirculated water would cause it to not get worse. I know in my pool in the spring the water looks clear but there's an ever so slight tinge of green. When I SLAM, it gets a little cloudy then lots of dead algae on the bottom.
I'm not sure what else to look at.
Collecting the sample to look at up close might help. Can you get a sample of both the stuff in the sock from the return and the stuff on the bottom of the pool?

sorry, yes, that was a typo. I meant "WAS".

I'll take a sample of the water today and put it in a glass cup so we can see it.

during my second slam this year, the water never really got cloudy. During the first one it did, but when I opened the pool, it was green. So I very much expected that.

I'll get samples tonight after work. Should be around 18:30 EST.

Reactions: mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.