Family Member Dumped Algeacide instead of Shock in Pool

Chevydue057

Jun 30, 2020
New Hampshire
I asked a family member to dump 3/4 of a gallon of 10% Chlorine in the pool this evening before they left, and they dumped almost all of a gallon of Pool Tech Algaecide into the pool. I had bought it while I was fighting an algae problem to do an experiment. I had collected some of it and put it in a cup with some algeacide to compare what happened as opposed to just chlorine.

The Algeacide us 4.98% Alkyl Dimethyl benzyl Ammonium Chloride. .02% Methyl benzyl Ammonium Chloride. 95% other. The pool is a little "soapy" and there's a little of that in the filter. It has cleared up some over the last couple hours. Is there anything I should worry about?

PH is high, about 7.8 right now, but otherwise everything else is about what it normally is. I'm being told they didn't add Chlorine, but my current FC level is 12.5.

I've been keeping my pool between 8/9 FC otherwise I'm getting some algea on the bottom. The smallest little bit, but I can see it. It doesn't grow, it doesn't change, it just settles at the bottom. On this note, I did slam the in July pool, and the water was clear, I was losing 0/.5 FC overnight. My CC was .2. Couple days go by, a tiny bit of algea when FC was at 4/5. I keep it at 8ish, no signs of it. I can't explain it, I just decided I can't SLAM the pool all summer (It was 9 days total, 5 consecutive days passed) so I would keep the levels a little high.

I had them run to the pool store for a sanity check, their printout is similar to my test, except phosphates from the pool store are 475. Should I be worried about phosphates? Limit on their sheet is 500.

Besides the bubbles, is there anything I should worry about? I have to assume the high PH is due to the high FC level of 12.5.

I appologize for the novel, but I wanted to give you all the information I have.

That algaecide is ammonia based so normally will consume FC and show up as CC.

Phosphates are of no concern with appropriate levels of FC based on your CYA level.

You slammed some time back but perhaps you haven't properly attained slam or ended it prematurely which is very common mistake. So now you have the algae lingering and are skirting a full algae bloom. I'd recommend you slam again to be done with it for good. I don't know how your testing and what are the pool chemistry levels as that can play a major roll in unsuccessful slam.

You slammed some time back but perhaps you haven't properly attained slam or ended it prematurely which is very common mistake. So now you have the algae lingering and are skirting a full algae bloom. I'd recommend you slam again to be done with it for good. I don't know how your testing and what are the pool chemistry levels as that can play a major roll in unsuccessful slam.
It's very possible. I did have 5 consecutive days of all clear across the Clear Water, OCLT, and the CC was 0 or .5. It was .5, then the next morning 0, the next morning, I'm 98% sure it was 0. But it could have been the faint pink. So I kept the slam going, next morning was 0, and the following morning was 0. So at that point I called it.

It might be important to mention, when I say I have algea, I'm talking about 2 or 3 spots in the pool, only on the bottom, less than the size of a penny. They don't get bigger, and they don't poof out when I go over and vacuum them.

I have friends with pools, and I have similar gunk in their pools, but SIGNIFICANTLY more of it. I'm just overly sensitive to it.
They also use tabs all summer long, and won't listen to me about the CYA increasing problem in tabs. They "like their pool guy".

That algaecide is ammonia based so normally will consume FC and show up as CC.

Phosphates are of no concern with appropriate levels of FC based on your CYA level.
Okay, I'll check the CC tonight. Maybe it hadn't had enough time to react with the Chlorine when I tested. I don't fully understand the reaction between Algaecide and Chlorine and how it works.

Hey CD !!! For starters, no more experiments. Algecide can be a preventive solution like when you close for the winter but it does nothing to kill algae that’s already there. It sounds real kill-y with the ‘cide’ and all, but it’s nothing but a waste of time and monies while your pool gets worse. A beloved staple of the pool store so that they can fleece you even more when it doesn’t work as promised and you go full swamp.

Hey CD !!! For starters, no more experiments. Algecide can be a preventive solution like when you close for the winter but it does nothing to kill algae that’s already there. It sounds real kill-y with the ‘cide’ and all, but it’s nothing but a waste of time and monies while your pool gets worse. A beloved staple of the pool store so that they can fleece you even more when it doesn’t work as promised and you go full swamp.

I should have explained better. The experiment was in Dunkin Donuts cups. I took samples of the Algae, and added some pool water. And then added some Algaecide to the cup, to see if it changed colors/consistency, etc. Did the same with with Liquid Chlorinator. The Algeacide was $5 at my Local Ocean State Job lot, and I was curious. $5 was worth the trial in cups to settle my minds curiosity. Heck, that's the price of a single gallon of Chlorinator this year. haha

None of it had gone into the pool for the experiment. Well, that is until the other day when a family member grabbed it.

None of it had gone into the pool for the experiment. Well, that is until the other day when a family member grabbed it.
Gotcha !!! Get your science on. 😁
$5 was worth the trial in cups to settle my minds curiosity
Heck yeah. Taking the family to a movie for something else to do woulda blown $80+. :ROFLMAO:

It might be important to mention, when I say I have algae, I'm talking about 2 or 3 spots in the pool, only on the bottom, less than the size of a penny. They don't get bigger, and they don't poof out when I go over and vacuum them.

I have friends with pools, and I have similar gunk in their pools, but SIGNIFICANTLY more of it.
When you vacuum, do the algae spots vacuum up and go away, and then return later? Usually algae puffs when you vacuum them and they return later. If it doesn't puff and doesn't vacuum up, then it's probably not algae.

When you vacuum, do the algae spots vacuum up and go away, and then return later? Usually algae puffs when you vacuum them and they return later. If it doesn't puff and doesn't vacuum up, then it's probably not algae.
Yea, algae should come up when brushed or scraped (if black algae). I just discovered a few spots Sunday that turned a bit green when scrubbing really hard on the steps which are shaded all the time. I’ve been slamming since then and they are now 99% gone. The whole time I’ve had clear water, less than 0.5ppm CC. The chlorine has taken care of it.

Reactions: mariane
Gotcha !!! Get your science on. 😁

Heck yeah. Taking the family to a movie for something else to do woulda blown $80+. :ROFLMAO:

HAHA. That's absolutely right!

So I rigged up a "special vacuum". What I mean is I took the vacuum brush off, and I secured the open end of the pool vacuum hose to the bar and I use it to vacuum now. It's got a lot of suction in a small area, almost like a shop vac. It doesn't puff using this vacuum. But yes, they go away, and then come back after running the filter for hours.

When I get home today, I'll wipe my foot over it and see if it does poof.
Yea, algae should come up when brushed or scraped (if black algae). I just discovered a few spots Sunday that turned a bit green when scrubbing really hard on the steps which are shaded all the time. I’ve been slamming since then and they are now 99% gone. The whole time I’ve had clear water, less than 0.5ppm CC. The chlorine has taken care of it.

Do you pass an OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you're on your way.
Also consider how clear is clear? Here at TFP people describe their clear water as "sparkly" clear. You'll know it when you see it and wonder how you ever thought it was clear before. :swim:

So when I got home this evening, I brushed two of the three spots and they do poof or vanish when brushed. Great, ALGEA. I'm guessing because of the vacuum I rigged up it usually comes right up. I vacuumed it up and through the filter. FC was down to 6. I'll be on the road most of tomorrow for work, so I brushed the heck out of the bottom of the pool, and I added 2 gallons 10% Chlorine to the pool. FC is 20. I'll check and brush again in the morning, I'm going to try and maintain a slam a couple of points higher than the chart. I'll hold the FC 19/20 with a CYA between 30 and 40.

Will measure FC again in the morning and report back. If it drops a couple of points overnight, I'll add some extra in the morning, double whatever pool match says, because I'm going to lose some during the day, and I don't want it to go below.

Again, after 2 days of filter running there was only 3 spots, 3 small spots, but I want it gone.

Reactions: mariane
Curious question: Do you run your pool pump 24/7 during the SLAM? If not, that would be part of the problem in getting rid of the algae.

And yes, it's important during the SLAM to never let the FC get below shock level.

Curious question: Do you run your pool pump 24/7 during the SLAM? If not, that would be part of the problem in getting rid of the algae.

And yes, it's important during the SLAM to never let the FC get below shock level.

Yes, I do keep the filter running. It's strange, CC was again 0 this morning. I added another half gallon of Liquid Chlorine this evening, I measured FC 24. We had a lot of rain today, my pool is at the top of the skimmer housing, but I would have expected the FC to go down.

2 Penny sized green "algea" dots again. I vacuumed them up, and brushed the entire bottom of the pool again.

We'll see what tomorrow morning brings.

I think there is a chart here, but if anyone wants to go in the pool, at say 35 CYA what is the max chlorine level to where it's unsafe to swim.

Tested this morning, Either 23.5 or 24 FC. That last drop is always not very obvious to me. This evening was 22. I know I'm higher than I'm supposed to be already, but I have 3 of those little algae spots. I removed them with a kids water cannon, ( the ones you pull back and fill with water, and then push the water out), I brushed the entire bottom of the pool, and added approx. another half gallon of 12.5%.

Should have me at FC 26. I'll measure again in an hour, once it's all circulated around. I'm treating these little spots as if they are mustard algae. I would rather be safe than sorry. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Back to where I was before. FC doesn't change overnight, water has been clear consistently, and CC are always either .5 or 0. I'm betting tomorrow will be a CC of zero, but I'll have a couple more spots.

Tested this morning, Either 23.5 or 24 FC. That last drop is always not very obvious to me. This evening was 22. I know I'm higher than I'm supposed to be already, but I have 3 of those little algae spots. I removed them with a kids water cannon, ( the ones you pull back and fill with water, and then push the water out), I brushed the entire bottom of the pool, and added approx. another half gallon of 12.5%.

Should have me at FC 26. I'll measure again in an hour, once it's all circulated around. I'm treating these little spots as if they are mustard algae. I would rather be safe than sorry. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Back to where I was before. FC doesn't change overnight, water has been clear consistently, and CC are always either .5 or 0. I'm betting tomorrow will be a CC of zero, but I'll have a couple more spots.
If you’re having trouble with the drops, you can add as many as it takes to make the solution perfectly clear (not even a hint of pink). Then if you’re really not sure, add one more drop to make sure the color doesn’t change. If it doesn’t then don’t use that extra drop when you calculate the FC.

If you’re having trouble with the drops, you can add as many as it takes to make the solution perfectly clear (not even a hint of pink). Then if you’re really not sure, add one more drop to make sure the color doesn’t change. If it doesn’t then don’t use that extra drop when you calculate the FC.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm doing. Sometimes I'm just not sure if the extra drop made a change or not. I'm probably just overthinking it.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.