Family hand prints....yay or nay?

NorCalX

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2011
Brentwood, CA
Concrete pour is tomorrow and my wife and i just started thinking about this idea

Charming family relic or blotch on the remodeled backyard project?

my kids are 9 and 7 and we hope this is our forever home

Any thoughts?

Its your home, but if you want a less permanent reminder of this milestone, make a paver with hand prints and whatever you want on it and set it up in a nice little area of its own. Then if the appearance is less than ideal you can move it or re-do it until you get the look you want. All you have to do is decide how large you want it and build a frame for the concrete.

We put handprints and a paw print in the back corner of our outdoor shower — they’re rather faint because the concrete had begun to set up, and I like the subtlety and hidden spot. I would have gone the paver route if we hadn’t had an inconspicuous spot though!

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalX
Its your home, but if you want a less permanent reminder of this milestone, make a paver with hand prints and whatever you want on it and set it up in a nice little area of its own. Then if the appearance is less than ideal you can move it or re-do it until you get the look you want. All you have to do is decide how large you want it and build a frame for the concrete.
And if you ever move, pop it out and take it with you.

Probably not enough time to do this.. When I redid the pool equipment I also poured a new pad. My wife had the kids make little ceramic 2x2 inch tiles. They painted them and put their names on them and they fired them in the oven. When I was ready to pour the new pad I incorporated the little tiles into the pad along with a penny from that year.

Absolutely! My kid's handprints, names and year is under 12" of water on the tanning ledge. Because of the location and coloring, you dont see it unless you know right where to look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread reminds me of my remodeling projects. Whenever I do a remodel of my kitchens or bathrooms in the houses I’ve lived in. I leave behind messages and pictures of the “before” work for the person(s) doing the current remodel, usually behind cabinets or under them.

This thread reminds me of my remodeling projects. Whenever I do a remodel of my kitchens or bathrooms in the houses I’ve lived in. I leave behind messages and pictures of the “before” work for the person(s) doing the current remodel, usually behind cabinets or under them.
In our last house (built in early 70s) we were remodeling the kitchen and found a 6-pack of Hamm's Beer stashed in the wall. I tried to convince my wife to have one, but she declined. ;)

Our current house has hand prints from when it was built in 2006 in a non conspicuous spot and one of the closets has height measurements that span two kids over about 9 years; I think it's pretty cool idea.

I cranked up Bon Jovi and decided its my life

Kids put their feet and hand prints in

If someone else doesn't like it they can cut that piece out after I'm dead

Terrific! I especially love the footprints because it’ll be so fun to compare as the bare feet get bigger around the pool!

I cranked up Bon Jovi and decided its my life

Kids put their feet and hand prints in

If someone else doesn't like it they can cut that piece out after I'm dead
Im with you. I very rarely do anything to my house with any regard for the next guy that might own it. It's my home, it's my life, they can change it after I'm gone. I'm not about to make a decision about my home now, based on what i think some stranger may or may not find of value decades down the road.

Oops, a little mini-rant there. Sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.