False or Faux Negative Edge/Infinity Pool - does anyone have photos?

AmyJo

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Atlanta, GA and St Croix USVI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi again - still trying to figure out a clever way to create the illusion of an infinity edge when remodeling an existing pool. We have the perfect setting for a real infinity pool, but being on the desert side of an island with constant trade winds makes it very impractical, not to mention expensive. We pondered a zero edge, but that still requires major structure work plus major liability with no railing on an 18 ft plus drop. Therefore, this is the idea:

Recoat pool in EcoFinish Midnight Blue to match the water of the ocean it overlooks, new waterline tile to match (probably a dark blue slate look paver) with glass panels as the railing to surround and a new natural coral tile deck pavers. The hopefully “clever” idea is to use the same tile as the waterline on the front edge ONLY facing the ocean, so there is a consistent flow of the blue color with minimal visual break. Unfortunately the level of the blue tile will have to stay the same level as the rest of the deck. My thought is that a dark outer edge can act sort of as a “trompe l’oeil” zero edge - without any contrasting material on that front edge (such as same deck pavers as the rest of the deck) to stop the eye.

Has anyone seen this before? Unfortunately it will still be part of the deck, but hopefully will recede colorwise with the focus being on the ocean. Will post a photo below of the pool as it is now. (Note this is my husband and a friend placing finish samples on the bottom of the pool so we could see the color. We have had EcoFinish at our home pool for about six years and love it).

Any comments or suggestions welcome! Now to find the right tile. Nothing is easy in the pool world, is it? Thanks!
IMG_2198.jpeg

Last edited:
uuhh...there is a dead policeman in your pool?

Your view is ridiculous. I can see why you want to maximise it. Cool concept to try and work around your issues. Hopefully someone can provide some useful input.
Ha! That’s a recent photo when my husband and a friend were placing the finish samples on the floor of the pool so we could see them. I’ve never taken a photo from that angle until last week. The existing vintage railing is interesting, but completely blocks the view.

Have you considered something like this?

Reactions: AmyJo
You almost can't go wrong with anything when you have a view like that. Gorgeous. What's on the other side of that metal fencing? Does it drop off a cliff or something from there?
Thank you! This is the main reason we want the connection to the ocean. The existing rail is wood and stucco and it strangely is so bold you completely have no connection to the ocean when you’re on the pool level. The drop is 18 ft to a small flat area, then a very steep hill full of cacti (we are 300 ft above sea level) . We’ve decided the danger is too great to do a zero edge (infinity isn’t a possibility due to the trade winds and scarcity of water) and demolishing that front wall to rebuild is crazy expensive with the cost of concrete/labor on the island. First world problems, I know!

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Have you considered something like this?

We have, but the expense to demo that wall and rebuild with the 18’ drop just makes it impractical - and dangerous. Friends there with zero edges say they cannot keep people (usually kids) off the edge. We also rent the house and need to sleep at night!

Glass wall! That would be my thought BUT that could also be a pain to keep clean...............I will keep thinking.
There are ways to coat it to resist spotting (what’s the name of the stuff for car windshields??) but it’s the only solution that seems to work. We checked on acrylic (commonly referred to as bulletproof glass) and the cost was astronomical. Wire cables don’t stay taut and people tend to stand or rest feet on them … we’ve exhausted the alternatives, but all ears if you think of something!
We do have a neighbor there who has a wood rail with glass pickets, but really do not like them.

Glass wall! That would be my thought BUT that could also be a pain to keep clean...............I will keep thinking.
Kim - here’s a wood rail with glass pickets. This is at a hotel on the island:
IMG_2561.jpeg

This is the type of railing we are considering. We may have to use aluminum or stainless rails, but hoping for the most minimal hardware possible:

IMG_2111.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2622.png
    IMG_2622.png
    470.5 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That solid glass one is my pick!
Thank you Kim! Mine too.
Now I’ve got to figure out where to find pavers to match waterline tile or vice versa. Then they will most likely be a different height than the rest of the deck. Whyyyyy can’t I do an easy pool??
Oh - we had to rip out all of our gorgeous Oceanside Glass Tile on the Atlanta pool. So sad. Guess I should have listened to the experts here in my vicinity. :(

find pavers to match waterline tile or vice versa.
Nope thinking the wrong way..................find a pretty contrasting set! That way it will look like you meant to do it. If you try to match you and I both know it will not match.
rip out all of our gorgeous Oceanside Glass Tile on the Atlanta pool.
Why??? I have a big sad for you :(

The glass panelling is definitely the easiest solution here. Just make sure you have a solid plan for how you are going to clean them safely. They will need a lot of cleaning and even more so if you have any vigorous swimmers in the pool.

That style of fencing is extremely popular here and it seems to be the bane of everyone's existence once they have it as it looks dirty pretty much the entire time, except for when it has just been cleaned. A large set back from the pool edge is required IMO.

We have deliberately chosen a cheap (and arguably ugly) fencing solution to avoid creating a friction point at the pool with our kids.

Dirty glass will definitely impact the effect you are trying to achieve but given the challenges of alternative solutions it might be worth the upkeep.

Nope thinking the wrong way..................find a pretty contrasting set! That way it will look like you meant to do it. If you try to match you and I both know it will not match.

Why??? I have a big sad for you :(
I need that front edge to be all one material to match the Midnight Blue finish so the color appears to flow into the ocean. I may not be describing this well …

The Atlanta lap pool debacle. It’s been a while. I was so upset I couldn’t even come on the forum to talk about pools. :(

I need that front edge to be all one material to match the Midnight Blue finish so the color appears to flow into the ocean.
I do remember reading that in your first post............I liked the idea...............so we shall see what we can find!
I was so upset I couldn’t even come on the forum to talk about pools.
:hug: Sorry to hear that :(

If you have a sample of the Midnight Blue finish, take it to a Daltile showroom or service center. They can help you match up some waterline tile and possibly pavers. They should also be able to provide you with samples.

If you take your sample to a good paint store like Benjamin Moore. they can scan it with the laser, provide you with the paint color formula and hex code. That might sound a little odd, but they can also tell you their closest colors to the finish sample. Those corresponding paint chips will tell you a lot about hue, undertone and light reflectivity. Might help with finding the right pavers.

Just make sure you have a solid plan for how you are going to clean them safely. They will need a lot of cleaning and even more so if you have any vigorous swimmers in the pool

That style of fencing is extremely popular here and it seems to be the bane of everyone's existence once they have it as it looks dirty pretty much the entire time,
These would be the reason I I would be leaning towards the glass slats. Even when the glass does get dirty at least you will still have a clearish view. In addition the Glass panes look very difficult to clean the ocean side. How to you clean down to the bottom? Unless you leave a dangerous ledge on the outside to access the outside of the panel. It appears you could reach through the glass slats to easily clean them. I also have a hard time believing if you put your full weight on the Panes that they would not give way. The slats appear much safer to me. I really have no experience with either system so this is just my humble uneducated opinion.... :)....

I like the full glass panels. Slats might be visually distracting with the contrast between dirty panes and no panes.
Cleaning the ocean side of full glass panels wouldn't be too hard depending on height. Can be done from the deck with a sponge and squeegee on a pole. Getting the technique down might take a little practice.

Amy jo,

You do indeed have one of the best views I've ever seen for an infinity edge pool. I would look to see if you can really convert. If there is a way to add the catch basin on the Ocean Side of the pool the drop really isn't that far. It's usually only about 3 ft. I've seen a lot of designs for Infinity edges that are on pools at the top of very tall hotels going right up to the edge also houses that have this built on a cliff Edge. Just a thought. Whichever way you go please keep us posted. This redesign is going to be a superb pool.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.