Fairly New Pool Owner- Experiencing Potential Liner Issues

rthompson869

May 8, 2022
Robbinsville
Hello all, moved into a house last summer with an inground pool. Closed it fine and with someone who knew what they were doing more than me. Opened it up today and was immediately concerned about the bubbling occurring with the liner. Bubbles occur all along the sides with some not-so-small areas on the bottom. I don't know enough to not be concerned about it. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Photos attached. I think the liner was installed in 2005 and it does look dated, but I have yet to confirm when it was last re-done.

I read the type of soil we have (clay-like) could be causing an issue. Dont know if that is true or not.

Attachments

• Pool 2.jpeg.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
Welcome to TFP.

Please post your pics directly in your messages. Many of us will not open unknown files or links.

Liner pools should not have the water lowered at closing much or at all. Is that the water level you closed the pool at?

The water in the pool puts pressure against the liner to keep it from bulging like that. Without water int he pool ground water gets behind the liner and creates the bulges.

You can add water to the pool and see how much the liner smooths out and presses the ground water away from the liner.

Liner pools should not have the water lowered at closing much or at all. Is that the water level you closed the pool at?

The water in the pool puts pressure against the liner to keep it from bulging like that. Without water int he pool ground water gets behind the liner and creates the bulges.

You can add water to the pool and see how much the liner smooths out and presses the ground water away from the liner.
I helped out with closing this out. Water was lowered here right below the skimmers so no water was going in. I do the same in mine and never had an issue with liner creasing. Everything I see / read when looking at says it should be dropped 3-6" below the skimmer as well.

If closing out and not removing water, how do you clear lines / keep water out of skimmer to prevent freeze? (asking in full curiosity and not at all in a condescending manner!)

I helped out with closing this out. Water was lowered here right below the skimmers so no water was going in. I do the same in mine and never had an issue with liner creasing. Everything I see / read when looking at says it should be dropped 3-6" below the skimmer as well.

You drop a plaster pool that much. Not a liner pool. For exactly the reasons you see here.

You are lucky and have a different ground water situation then this pool.

If closing out and not removing water, how do you clear lines / keep water out of skimmer to prevent freeze? (asking in full curiosity and not at all in a condescending manner!)

Blow out and plug the skimmer and put a Gizzmo in the skimmer or cut up pool noodles or half full plastic bottles. They all create a crush zone to absorb ice expansion and prevent cracking the skimmer.

You drop a plaster pool that much. Not a liner pool. For exactly the reasons you see here.

You are lucky and have a different ground water situation then this pool.

Blow out and plug the skimmer and put a Gizzmo in the skimmer or cut up pool noodles or half full plastic bottles. They all create a crush zone to absorb ice expansion and prevent cracking the skimmer.

I've been doing the steps above, just with the added lowering of the water levels. Assuming its water table related then and will fill and see how that solves out. Also will probably stop doing that with my pool then too.......

We had a very wet winter in NJ with lots of ground water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just while this is still fresh. How would we go about fixing this? Vinyl repair service? Or…? Thank you for your help

There is not anything to "repair".

Add water to the pool. Wait until the water warms up and on a hot day try and smooth out the liner. The liner will be more flexible on a hot day.

If the liner has stretched it will have wrinkles that you cannot get out. Hopefully the liner did not shift in its track.

You can talk to your local pool companies and see if you can find a knowledgeable person who can help you work out the wrinkles and bulges in the liner.

Just learned that this pool has a "Water Table" and it should have a pump that pulls the water behind the wall out. Does that make sense? How do I know if I have a vacuum pump for that?

I think you are saying you have some well points around the pool that should dewater the area.

Some well points are plumbed to daylight using gravity and others use a pump dropped down into the well point.

You have to look around the pool or deck areas for covers that may be above the well point(s).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.