PearlandPoolFam

Dec 14, 2020
Houston, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Failed my first attempt at a SLAM to deal with recurrent algae in corners of our pebble pool. Passed all tests and things looked great a few days and then it was back. Small amounts of yellow/green that collect even with frequent brushing. Easily brushes off, makes a cloud. I also have some gross stuff coming out of spa blowers that I attempted to photograph. The photo is too large to attach but they are brown slimy flakes. I lowered the ph 7.2 and am restarting the slam. It is possible to clean the spa blower?

Levels before slam and after lowering pH
FC6
CC 0
CYA 30
TA 100
CH 450
pH 7.2

You might consider completing the SLAM Process, passing all 3 SLAM criteria, then for 24 hrs (only) increase the FC to Mustard Algae levels. Ensure no one swims during that 24 hr period. See the link below for more details. But be sure you passed the regular SLAM first.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Failed my first attempt at a SLAM to deal with recurrent algae in corners of our pebble pool.
It could be poor circulation. Every pool in the land has 'dead spots'.

It could also be pollen, farm dust or mustard algae as Pat suggests above.

You know the rules though. If you think you see algae, or think something is off with your FC, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Reactions: Mdragger88
You might consider completing the SLAM Process, passing all 3 SLAM criteria, then for 24 hrs (only) increase the FC to Mustard Algae levels. Ensure no one swims during that 24 hr period. See the link below for more details. But be sure you passed the regular SLAM first.

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading on that protocol and the only thing I am not comfortable with is cleaning behind the lights. I will complete the regular SLAM first and them do the MA levels for 24 hours. I know it all depends but approximately how long should it take the chlorine levels to come back down after getting it up to MA SLAM levels?

The FC level will fall rather quickly after the 24 hr Mustard Algae level stops. Once your FC gets back down to the regular SLAM level, it will fall quite a bit as well each day, especially if our weather starts to cooperate and we get some consistent sunshine. Remember you only need to get behind lights that have a niche behind them - the larger type lights. If you have small LED lighting you won't have to remove those.

Reactions: PearlandPoolFam
Ok that’s great news! I’m also seeing some tan /light yellow brown discoloration on pump basket and on some other white plumbing that was visible today when we cleaned the filters. Anything of concern there?

I’m also struggling to clean the eclipse style drains. It’s a narrow opening and can fit a bottle/narrow dish brush in there but nothing else. I can clean the one in spa. But the one 6.5’ down is a huge challenge. I’ve ordered every brush under the sun but the only thing that fits is a bottle brush rigged on my pool pole. Any thoughts there? I have seen build up on there too

Thank you!

Attachments

• 6791D1E6-27C9-4DA9-856A-471B1F307F71.jpeg
    6791D1E6-27C9-4DA9-856A-471B1F307F71.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.