Failed inspection b/c of pool water bonding

debuda

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2019
Los Angeles
I just failed final inspection because I don't have a water bond.

Inspector informed me about requirements.

Looking online it seems all the conductive material is brass or copper. I understand that copper = bad for pool surfaces.

Is there a stainless alternative for water bonding or is this standard practice?

Thank you in advance!

Is this an owner-build or a pool company build? Here is the National Electrical Code:
Bonding The Pool
a. All metal parts must be bonded together using a #8 (or larger) solid copper wire.
b. Conductive pool shells must be boned in a minimum of four (equal) points uniformly spaced around
the pool.
c. Non-conductive pool shells must have a #8 (or larger) solid copper wire buried 4” - 6” below finished
grade with such bond wire placed from18” – 24” from the inside pool wall around the pool,
(equipotential bonding) that which starts and returns/ terminates at the pool pump.
d. Bonding points or attachment must use non-corrosive clamps.
e. A minimum of nine (9) square inches of metal must in the water to bond the water.

Reactions: Neto
Last edited:
If this is a gunite pool, while your pool was being built, the rebar should have been bonded on all 4 sides, this is basically copper ground cables attached to the rebar on several places in that area. Also, if you have a concrete deck that had rebar, these ground cables needed to be attached too. The water of the pool should have been grounded too, usually they do this with a pool water bonding kit like this. My pool builder connected all these wires to two huge rods that are installed on the actual ground and there is a PVC piece that also has connection to water & ground. I am not sure what are the requirements for the fiberglass or vinyl pools but I am sure its less complicated that gunite.

Thanks for all the replies. I realize I should have been more descriptive in my question.

The pool is gunite and has the required equipotential bonding from shell to deck to pool equipment. It is an owner builder.
The pool lights are led and dont have the metal plate behind that is in contact with water...which is why I need to have a "water bonding" (or at least that's what I understood).

The inspector recommended something like @Neto mentioned with the water bonding kit to tie into the plumbing near the equipment and then use an 8# wire to connect to existing bonding.

My question is whether this will cause trouble with copper in the pool.

Copper in plumbing is not a problem unless the pH gets too low and the copper dissolves into the pool water.

Maintain correct pH of 7.0 and above. Beware of acid startups or other processes that lower pH below 7.

Great question... :epds:

I guess the same question could be asked about pool heaters though. not really sure what they use for heat exchanger but I believe it's copper isn't it?
Good point!!

Copper in plumbing is not a problem unless the pH gets too low and the copper dissolves into the pool water.

Maintain correct pH of 7.0 and above. Beware of acid startups or other processes that lower pH below 7.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Just to follow up here I ended up installing a tee with the pb-2008 purchased From Amazon.
This was the first time I have messed with the pool plumbing. Hope it passes inspection!!

Now just have to find a day to get re inspection.

Attachments

• Resized_20191030_222029.jpg
    Resized_20191030_222029.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 71

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.