Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I just bough a house with a 15,000 pool in terrible condition. I'm going to replaster it and upgrade the equipment to Pentair easytouch 8 , Intliflow VFS pump and gas water heater. I ask how much would cost to add a salt cell and the price came for the cell, power supply and salt the systems $1850. I've been told that the cell needs to be cleaned once every three months (for a fee), and the cells have to be replaced once every three years $500 to $900 depending on model and size. It seams quite expensive not only initial costs but also the maintenance. I'm not sure if this is worth the money. I would appreciate any input?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actaully I have the very similar problem/question. I just bough a house with a 15,000 pool in terrible condition. I'm going to replaster it and upgrade the equipment to Pentair easytouch 8 , Intliflow VFS pump and gas water heater. I ask how much would cost to add a salt cell and the price came for the cell, power supply and salt the systems $1850. I've been told that the cell needs to be cleaned once every three months (for a fee), and the cells have to be replaced once every three years $500 to $900 depending on model and size. It seams quite expensive not only initial costs but also the maintenance. I'm not sure if this is worth the money. I would appreciate any input?
So basically you are being sold a service package that you do not need. Salt cells do not need to be cleaned every three months, and while they do eventually have to be replaced (like your brakes on your car do), there is no set schedule for that. You see others on this thread talking about how long their cells lasted before needing replacement.

Sounds like someone is trying to make sure you do not manage your pool on your own.

The problem you have is that you are allowing someone to take care of your pool.. This lets them tell you anything, and charge you for everything.

Only an idiot pool guy would install a Pentair EasyTouch and then turn around and sell you an salt system.. The way a professional would do it, is to install an EasyTouch that come with an internal salt cell power supply and the cell.. Much cheaper and better to boot.

I have three salt water pools... I recently had to replace two of the salt cells.. One was about 9 years old and the other was over 7 years old... The cell's have gone up in price recently, I bought one about a year ago for $600 bucks and just recently bought another one for about $750.

I would just as soon fill my pools in as not have them be saltwater pools.

There is almost no reason to pay someone else to do the simple pool care..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
They don't need to be replaced every 3 years.. I bet he is telling you that because that is the typical warranty.. and its hecka simple to swap out a knew one when the do go out. My first cell lasted 9+ years my second one is at 7 years and counting.

Most SWG manufactures recommend cleaning the cell every 3 months.. and some put a nag notification on the controller displays.. Really it's just unscrewing two unions and blasting it out with a hose most of the time. If its more involved we can walk you through the acid bathes or whatever. There is no need to pay someone to do it.

Thank you All for your comments. That's was my impression that they want to sell whole package. The pool at my previous house was a chlorine pool and I was taking care of it by myself (thanks to you all here). It was my first pool ever but I did it :) . I'm planning to take care of this pool too so any service won't be necessary but the pool guy doesn't know that yet :)

@Jimrahbe what do you mean "EasyTouch that come with an internal salt cell power supply and the cell" ? Do you have a link I could refer to?

First I asked for a quotation for Easytouch, pump and heater and then asked about SWG. Probably he "added" the cell and power supply. Is this price ($1850) resonable?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.