FACT OR URBAN LEGEND - dark liners

Do darker liners actually retain/heat your pool faster?

We switched our liner last year to a much darker one and the difference seems to be substantial. All things being equal, I'm thinking 5 to 7 degrees. Our pool gets alot of sun so I'm thinking that is definitely a factor, as in, I would think a darker pool with full sun all day would accelerate this process. That's my anecdotal 2 cents..

More anecdotal evidence; my pool, with a dark tan color pebble, is substantially warmer than our rental house (white diamondbrite) and the swim teacher's house (light tan pebble). I wouldn't have guessed the difference would be noticeable, but it is.

For above ground pools, I wonder if the color of the walls (exterior) would make a difference. It's a large surface area and all the heat absorbed would transfer to all depths of the pool. If I get the guts to paint mine a darker color, I'll let you all know.;)

Remember that dark color also radiates more energy (higher emissivity) so it works against you when the sun goes down. You might get higher temperature gains during the day but it would be offset by higher heat loss at night so the average temperature might not change much. At a minimum, you would want to paint only those surfaces that are illuminated by the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.