Eye-balling the chlorine

I haven't measured chlorine in a couple years. Always eyeball it.

I confused the heck out of my brother once. He was visiting and sat there watching as I ran all the tests using the speedstir. After all this careful testing, I grabbed a jug and sloshed some bleach in and told him I was done. He was expecting me to measure stuff out to the ml or something.

haha!!

I eyeball it too, usually put it in when the sun is going down, I pour about what I think is half gallon for a 3ppm addition of 6%
then look down in the bottle with the sun lighting it up and put my left finger around the half mark and see if the leftover lines up.

Seems to work.

When I used liquid and still do from time to time, I had measuring cups from the paint department at Lowes. After the first few bottles that were used with the measuring cups, I started marking my clear mega shock 12.5% bottles with either 32 oz. or 64 oz. If I needed 96 oz., I would use both bottles. Downstairs in the basement (not finished), I had a nice black shelf with all bottles of bleach, enough for about 2 months. Always purchased enough for 2 months and the bleach at Ocean State Job Lot was always fresh. It made my life very easy to add 32 oz. daily. Tested weekly and adjusted accordingly. Always added another 32 oz. when company showed up a few hours later. Always added no later than 7 a.m. in the morning.

Because the shock bottles were clear, it was very easy to see how much was in each. One must be comfortable with the method they used. I wanted to me as precise as possible.

My pool is big enough that my chlorine additions are 1/2 gal or 1 gal, all eye-balled. Though usually it’s just the SWCG adjustment I’m concerned with.

More like counting "glugs" for me. Now that I know my pool's appetite, I test, then add accordingly after my swim. The bottle gets lowered in and I float it just up to the top then tilt and start counting. I don't like the potential problems of transferring chemicals to other cups etc., so this works for me. And if I'm over/under it's minimal.

And yep, me too on the muriatic as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it's kind of pointless to carefully measure chemicals since I don't know the exact volume of my pool. There's some always +/- fudge. Err on the over with chlorine since it will burn off anyway, and low chlorine is leads to green pools. Err on the under for most other chems since you can always add more.

Thanks for the pic, good to know. I agree with many others on here, I just wing it based upon how heavy it feels in my hand. I never evne double check the level after adding, I just go with it. I look at it this way. Your target FC is a range of 2. So if your CYA is your FC is 6 to 8. I know my pool is 20K gallons and I use 10% liquid. So 1 gallons adds 5 units of FC for me. Then lets say I know I need to add 3ppm of FC to the pool, and can add up to 5 to be in the sweet spot. That means I need somewhere between 3/5 of a gallon to the full gallon. If I cant just wing it and get it that close (a range of 51 ounces) then I should not be caring for a pool.

Also, as long as you error on the side of a bit more, you never have an issue. So back to my example, lets say you need 3ppm. Well that is 76.8 ounces of 10%. So if I measured that exact amount, I would still have an issue, since there is no chance that 10% is really 10%. Is has degraded to at least 9.5% or less by the time I buy it from the store and put it into the pool. Since you cant really know how degraded it is, you are back to a guessing game anyway. So I just wing it, and err on the side of a bit too much. Too much one day equals less to add the next day anyway. Plus your FC level is safe to swim in up to shock level anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.