Extended freeze with possible ice storm expected in Houston

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
Hi All -

I live about 35 miles outside of Houston and we are supposed to have an extended freeze with maybe an ice storm. If we lose power how long can the pumps be off before the water will start freezing? If that does happen what steps should I take to drain the pumps/system? Remove the pump lids, open drain plugs on bottom of pumps, open drain plug on filter and heater? Anything else to do? Last big winter storm we lost power for about two hours and we were fine, but I am more concerned with an extended power outage with the possible ice storm.

Thank you

At this point there’s little you can do it you lose power. It sounds like you e got basic knowledge of how to drain your equipment, which is a very good thing at it would stink to be learning in your weather. The only other thing I’d suggest is IF you lose power toss a few heavy blankets over the equipment as well.

At this point there’s little you can do it you lose power. It sounds like you e got basic knowledge of how to drain your equipment, which is a very good thing at it would stink to be learning in your weather. The only other thing I’d suggest is IF you lose power toss a few heavy blankets over the equipment as well.

I was thinking about doing that, but as there's going to be freezing rain, but I was worried about the weight of water-soaked blankets potentially damaging unsupported portions of the above-ground piping.

Another option if that’s the case would be using a tarp to cover things up. It won’t be as warm, but it will block the wind while not giving the rain something to “stick to.”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.