Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi Folks,

Moved into our current house in November; noticed a few weeks ago that there is a tile missing from above one of the skimmer inlets. With the tile gone, the rebar is rusted and exposed. As far as I can tell, it's been this way since we've moved in (I haven't found any loose tiles). The pool was resurfaced with some sort of pebble finish in ~2018, according to sellers. I'm not sure if they retiled as well, but the grout on the tiles above the skimmer inlet is white and new compared to the black grout elsewhere. I'm not sure when the pool was built originally, and the house is over 80 years old so there's no telling.

I've read some other threads indicating that rusted rebar should be cut out and patched, but I'm hoping that's not necessary here. What's the right way to fix this?

Thanks!

IMG_20200711_142922.jpg

Water got to the rebar and the ensuing Corrosion of the rebar popped loose the surrounding gunite and tile. It needs to be treated properly with a rust neutralizer Then recovered with the proper mortar and then tiled. you likely will need to remove some existing tile and expose back to ensure all rust is treated And Gunite is solid

Thanks! Not really what I want to hear but definitely what I need to hear. I'm guessing the corrosion had been there before the pool was replastered, at which point they probably just slapped some mortar on it, put a few tiles on the front, and called it a day.

Wonder if anyone will come out for that small of a job or if I can look forward to spending the weekend chipping away old tile and mortar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.