Expected Downtime Sometime Soon

I need to do some research on the “start conversation” feature. That was added by modifying the base code and there maybe some conflicts from running correct.

I can add the text size shortly, just wasn’t a feature we really used much, but there wasn’t a reason it was left off either……

Lastly is the FC/CYA update. My main goal in many areas is to start targeting users and give them only info they need. The update to the Recommended Levels page last year is a prime example of that. I want users to be able to view only info that pertains to them, but also to be able to show users all sorts of additional info if they wish to learn more. Now that we’ve “separated” users into groups (Liquid, SWG, Slam) we can easily add info that helps guide them along the way.

For example, we may add to the chart SWG users should check their settings during cold weather to make sure they’re producing chlorine. Liquid users don’t need to be shown that. This is just one targeted message we’re looking at. It’s a first step into the new view. 👍

I use the text size feature to obscure the disclaimers, copyright statements and/or trademark info I sometimes need to include to protect myself from my own posts! 🤪

@Leebo , I think your "targeted message" approach is dead on! 100% support. Good information architecture includes all the data, but in digestible chunks, and ideally the size and/or amount of those chunks are user selectable. By that I mean: the user understands that more information is available, but can choose to consume it or not, not have it jammed into their eyeballs. (y)

Ohhh wow, I just figured it out... by clicking the name it opens up a different window, then you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is the BB Code...

I don't see anyone having a problem finding that... (sarcasm) took me 2 days With 2 very smart people trying to explain it to me... and I do software and hardware for a living... :brickwall: :laughblue:
I went to post a picture and couldn't find the BBCode anywhere. Came here to report as a bug and found this odd workaround of needing to click on the picture title and not the picture as they now open two different picture viewing menus...

Ok, so don’t totally bash XenForo here. Bash this guy!

If you click on the camera now it’ll restore the old button. I was selecting the wrong “quick button” the entire time thinking they made the change.
stupid lloyd bridges GIF
What camera restoring what old button?

In all fairness, I need to swap those some. I need to swap the camera and “gif” buttons around as there’s no need to hide the gallery, but Gifs aren’t a major deal

Huh, has that always been a thing?

Tried it out though and it gives the embed code with a frame and title, not the auto-resizing frameless one the BBCode gives, so I probably won't use this option (unless this action can be changed through another setting to give the BBCode link).
1615844510880.png

There are some odd idiosyncrasies between the way the website is displayed in my desktop browser and on my phone. Some of it is related to screen real estate.. some is I just don't know what they were thinking..

@jseyfert3 On my PC.. the BB code button is not embedded in another menu, its prominently displayed to the left of the preview button.. on my phone, you have drill down in the dot-dot-dots

@Leebo thanks for connecting me to the forum for the web platform you use for the forum.. It gave me a lot of insight into the design of this place, but some of it still leaves me scratching my head about the design choices they made. I don't envy your task of sorting it all out. Thanks for that

Last edited:
Reactions: jseyfert3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@jseyfert3 On my PC.. the BB code button is not embedded in another menu, its prominently displayed to the left of the preview button.. on my phone, you have drill down in the dot-dot-dots
Wait, what BB Code button are you referring to? You mean this?
1615850288484.png

I know about that, but that's not what I was referring to. That button just toggles on or off the WYSIWYG editor. I was referring to the image BB Code for embedding a picture (IMG tags), like so:
Code:
[IMG width="4032px" height="3024px"]https://www.troublefreepool.com/media/68bfd874-83b4-4143-b99b-7ce8dcf5a902-jpeg.4044/full[/IMG]

This displays as:
full

Rather than the "Gallery Embed" or camera icon:
Code:
[GALLERY=media, 4044][/GALLERY]

which displays as this:

Which is how it displays if you use the Gallery Embed ("Camera") button on the post to select the media. I personally prefer the image BB code rather than the gallery BB code.

In any case, Leebo touched base with me to get a few more details.

The number and location and contents of the "three dot" tool bar menus vary based on your screen size, and on a desktop also by the window size...

The TFP website is responsive, which means its interface varies based on the size of the screen/window in which you're viewing it.

The majority of this last update is to further prepare TFP for the future. If all goes well we’ll hopefully be able to make some additional changes that’ll make you forget all about the What’s New tab……and if there’s massive issues because of its removal, it can be 100% restored by clicking one option. 👍

🤷🏼‍♂️🤔😃

So I stumbled into an interesting "notification" conundrum.. I know, I know.. its not a bug, its a feature.

Somehow I missed a post in my notification drop down. (I am using Brave browser on both the phone and PC). The PC browser version did not have any notifications on the bell, but the phone browser version did at the top level, when I expanded the Bell Icon, there weren't any unread posts.. they all had hollow circles next to them. But when I closed the menu the little red circle with a "1" in it popped up over the notification icon. Hmmm. I couldn't figure out how to scroll down past the posts that were displayed in the list.. If I tapped on that panel, it just opened the post I tapped on..
So..
Back to the PC Browser version. And I pulled up the Alert notification (bell) menu that shows "no" notifications. But this panel only shows the read/unread circles when I hover the mouse over the post. BUT in this interface I can scroll down through a greater range of posts. And there a day back was a post that still had the "Unread" circle filled in. Once I opened it the unread item was cleared from the notification menu on my phone's browser.
So...
If you find phantom notifications on the phone... then pull it up on the PC and see if you can find them there. This also might explain why occasionally I thought I was not getting notifications for posts I had been watching. I missed some notification at some point during a flurry of postings and so it remained unread.. floating further into the past until I discovered it in some other manner and there were a weeks worth of activity on it that I had missed. The old interface didn't have this read/unread button thingy.
Share and enjoy...

This is on a PC.. If you double click the bell it will pull all of them up.. also if you click once down at the bottom there is a "mark read" button.. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.