Excessive Chlorine Usage (5 to 6 ppm per day)

You can add CYA at anytime in preparation for summer. The FC should fall to the normal range fairly quickly, so be sure to watch it daily and keep the FC at the right level based on the FC/CYA Levels. Congrats! :goodjob:

full

If you could clearly see the dot at 60, strained to see it at 50, and it was gone at 40, then your CYA level is 60. Always use the last number where you could *easily* see the dot. That was 60.

Running your FC as though CYA is lower than actual is risky, in terms of water sanitation. Running it a bit high is no big deal. Always round up.

If you could clearly see the dot at 60, strained to see it at 50, and it was gone at 40, then your CYA level is 60. Always use the last number where you could *easily* see the dot. That was 60.

Running your FC as though CYA is lower than actual is risky, in terms of water sanitation. Running it a bit high is no big deal. Always round up.
Thank you.

The whole reason for considering CYA increase was because of the 5 to 6ppm loss daily, passing the OCLT. But then, out of nowhere saw visible green algae and have been slamming since Sunday.
There is not much sun in forecast for the next 10 days to test CYA. Should the sun be blasting hot for CYA or as long as there is some sun causing a shadow, it is enough?

I am all for being on the safer side, keeping a higher chlorine.

Will there be a higher loss of chlorine if we keep it a higher level? Say the CYA is actually 40-50, but keeping chlorine at a CYA 60 level.

Lost 3.5ppm last two days (both cloudy days). Seems a bit excessive so early on, with no one using the pool.

Any suggestions? The only thing that we didn't do yet is to check the light. We passed oclt a couple of times and ended slam on Sunday.

Should we add CYA. I am suspecting it to be 40. (No sunny day in forecast to verify).

Thanks.

with CYA at 40 and dosing for 60 CYA will lose chlorine faster than having the CYA at 60.. We have had these clouds and rain for weeks now... still continues, I think Tuesday we may see some sun for a few hours... Even if it is a little cloudy the test should be fine...

losing 3.5 FC your CYA might be a little lower than 40???

with CYA at 40 and dosing for 60 CYA will lose chlorine faster than having the CYA at 60.. We have had these clouds and rain for weeks now... still continues, I think Tuesday we may see some sun for a few hours... Even if it is a little cloudy the test should be fine...

losing 3.5 FC your CYA might be a little lower than 40???
It is possible, with the rains we have had as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The first one will have one screw at the top to undo and then it should come right out. The holes you see on the sides let water in and out as well, so you know it’s ok to remove.

I can’t speak the second. Not sure on that one. I see a screw but it’s not a type I’m familiar with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.