Excessive Chlorine Usage (5 to 6 ppm per day)

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Passed SLAM. :giggle::giggle:. Two tests. CC was 0. Next felt a light pink tinge. So calling that .5.

Either it actually reduced or washing the vial with bleach did it. Thank you.

Do I wait for FC to go down to add CYA?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
You can add CYA at anytime in preparation for summer. The FC should fall to the normal range fairly quickly, so be sure to watch it daily and keep the FC at the right level based on the FC/CYA Chart. Congrats! :goodjob:

full

CrystalRiver

Jun 19, 2020
Massachusetts
If you could clearly see the dot at 60, strained to see it at 50, and it was gone at 40, then your CYA level is 60. Always use the last number where you could *easily* see the dot. That was 60.

Running your FC as though CYA is lower than actual is risky, in terms of water sanitation. Running it a bit high is no big deal. Always round up.

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
If you could clearly see the dot at 60, strained to see it at 50, and it was gone at 40, then your CYA level is 60. Always use the last number where you could *easily* see the dot. That was 60.

Running your FC as though CYA is lower than actual is risky, in terms of water sanitation. Running it a bit high is no big deal. Always round up.
Thank you.

The whole reason for considering CYA increase was because of the 5 to 6ppm loss daily, passing the OCLT. But then, out of nowhere saw visible green algae and have been slamming since Sunday.
There is not much sun in forecast for the next 10 days to test CYA. Should the sun be blasting hot for CYA or as long as there is some sun causing a shadow, it is enough?

I am all for being on the safer side, keeping a higher chlorine.

Will there be a higher loss of chlorine if we keep it a higher level? Say the CYA is actually 40-50, but keeping chlorine at a CYA 60 level.

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Lost 3.5ppm last two days (both cloudy days). Seems a bit excessive so early on, with no one using the pool.

Any suggestions? The only thing that we didn't do yet is to check the light. We passed oclt a couple of times and ended slam on Sunday.

Should we add CYA. I am suspecting it to be 40. (No sunny day in forecast to verify).

Thanks.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
with CYA at 40 and dosing for 60 CYA will lose chlorine faster than having the CYA at 60.. We have had these clouds and rain for weeks now... still continues, I think Tuesday we may see some sun for a few hours... Even if it is a little cloudy the test should be fine...

losing 3.5 FC your CYA might be a little lower than 40???

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
with CYA at 40 and dosing for 60 CYA will lose chlorine faster than having the CYA at 60.. We have had these clouds and rain for weeks now... still continues, I think Tuesday we may see some sun for a few hours... Even if it is a little cloudy the test should be fine...

losing 3.5 FC your CYA might be a little lower than 40???
It is possible, with the rains we have had as well.

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Seeing something brown at the bottom of light on the inside. Passed OCLT though, so not sure what that could be.
Is this something easy to remove and check?

bE0CvkTAA7zm2RZXME5xt-N071zZZVRPXA2je4iAfwUA38kETpjCzs1Fo_M8MjVMWuzyTAmzDCmvwocxysa67YibWg9D4cuu5wZ_5dKU_7oSg_eEvOk_bowaqOVNYzuMb6vRiSWY3gF3SE0LsgJGPDlC0VUOMNHXA2afoT03ouqjEckVtQRikhLoHVYQLABAYI_LeM9WYjZFH3CZhEPp41t1IAQVAzXFEZjJxkglOQS--IbudNLZ0pJ3_FZg4FMnaBOsg3mO_LxYLxecrK8LM30PqScskjELZ8p7ylYUNNmnd-J3OCv68WGB9hbSbm2OftKaTUUKX3B-7CCiXuGVCVvp8erUT8TXWpO7TaVxLZADr4lyDcqaXybSZY308xhXwxZG_cCCHRgex6aqQXuAeCGE82yhBdU1s6LMf7ODFfaTNFZ4iwBOLJHi4cTzX0YP48f82k4TziQ-MH9RIJfnjV9Ho180qzEV0x8Q_l6Im-Ok3LVKbb9N68AbuDnFq4zvxlb2Ana2HC9iOuELrCxi2yE1hBUQFUU57ctB-_o8ehSG6fWTpV0LSCgyX0hf5mTzLswKFlNXNThxftu0ihFILQU1XyD4ul5IQnHiRNGE7Q7dvVclzVP4__TcnSMR-yIXEhFysBWNQbXCxJQ6xVql5KC8G-1zgnsmqjvWBgzCN7wECChGLHTd2L4xLrMBC-72j02ml1vUCbjt5LDkWjuNVBb4yw=w727-h969-no

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
rain will also take down CYA... not seeing a picture if you posted something...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
I think there is just one screw but not sure...

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The first one will have one screw at the top to undo and then it should come right out. The holes you see on the sides let water in and out as well, so you know it’s ok to remove.

I can’t speak the second. Not sure on that one. I see a screw but it’s not a type I’m familiar with.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.