Evaporation or am I losing my mind ...

ToniMarie

Jul 1, 2020
Revere, Massachusetts
Hi! So I am from Massachusetts. This June/July we had some super hot/humid days. However, we also had enough rain that I didn't pay attention to evaporation. About two weeks ago I started to notice (or so I thought) that my pool was slowly losing some water. I never really thought about the evaporation process before. So as an example, I topped the water off this Saturday. It' s now day 5 and I would say i've lost maybe an inch. I guess I would average out in about a weeks time, I am going to lose anywhere from 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches of water. I will say the temps have been wild here. My backyard reads anywhere between 85-100 degrees each day. Then at night, the temps are dropping to low 60's. My pool is also in direct sunlight from about 7am-7pm. It's not heated and there are no trees blocking anything. I also don't have a solar cover at night so it's exposed. I guess my question is, does this seem average? I'm just wondering if these temp changes are just speeding up the evaporation process. This entire season i haven't had to add any water to top the pool off until about 3 weeks ago. I now add about 1-2 inches a week. Before anyone suggests it, I am in the process of doing the bucket test now. I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar evaporation stories. I am not sure if I am just reading too much into this.

Every region has varying evaporation rate. What you lose in a week, I lose in just over a day. Your evaporation rate is accentuated when your pool water temperature is greater than your over night temperatures. Also when the relative humidity is lower. Or the wind is blowing more.

A 1/4" per day is very normal. But do your bucket test. Will not hurt.

Reactions: ToniMarie
You answered my question also mknauss.....Thanks!!
It feels so good to know that I am not the only one questioning this! All summer has been perfect until these past weeks. It's not so much a bother topping it off each week (granted the water bill might tell me otherwise when it comes in). I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy or obsessing over it! It's not a huge water lose but enough that I sort of noticed it.. I think part of the problem is that I am working remotely this summer and stare at it every day! I didn't have as much extra time in past years so now I am questioning everything and always fearing the worst. I had a new liner put in last year as well as next light/jet fixtures. I'm hoping my mind is what's actually wrong in this situation!! LOL!

Hi! I just had a basic question regarding leaks. Would having a leak mess with your pool chemistry? I thought I read somewhere that you might feel like you were adding more chemicals than normal. I have a previous post about evaporation rates and determining evaporation vs. leak. I did notice that all my chemistry has stayed perfect through this and I haven't had to add anything more to it. I was just wondering if what I read was true. Does a possible leak mess with your pool chemistry? Again, doing the bucket test now and feel its probably just evaporation, but I was wondering about the chemistry. I never know if what I am reading online is true or not most of the time.

If you were losing gallons per day, over a long period, it would change some chemistry parameters. CYA, CH, salt would all go down. FC use might go up but that would be a leak of 1000's of gallons of water a day and hopefully you would see that.

Evaporation losses do not effect CYA, CH, and salt levels.

So it’s been 24 hours and these are my test results. It looks like about 1/4 an inch in both. I had a hard time marking the blue line inside the bucket so that’s why it’s so think. However, I used a tape measure and it came to about 1/4. I’m going it another day.

Attachments

• 1B024589-D0BE-4645-8F6A-576313BE6CF4.jpeg
    1B024589-D0BE-4645-8F6A-576313BE6CF4.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 6
  • EF34EF15-8A59-4210-88F0-037094ED38A8.jpeg
    EF34EF15-8A59-4210-88F0-037094ED38A8.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: mknauss
It's been a strange summer for me. This is the longest I have gone in a season without adding any water. It's almost September. With a few possible tropical systems coming this way, I may make it through the whole season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.