Error Code on Heater / how to resolve

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
My Hayward H440FD has an error code of Sb, which is indicated in the enclosed pic. The Service light is also lit.

The error code for Sb states:

Keypad button stuck closed error=If one of the keypad buttons is closed (or pressed) for more than 30 s the error code will be displayed but the control will continue to function. The error code will be cleared when the condition is corrected.

Does anyone knows how to correct “this condition?” If you have any questions, pls let me know? I’m running my heater now bc it’s 58 degrees and nice time to do so.

Thank you
Tstex

Attachments

• 42C8DEA5-563A-410E-BD43-DA08B147968D.jpeg
    42C8DEA5-563A-410E-BD43-DA08B147968D.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 14

**NOTE: Used on models manufactured prior to 11/20/14

When was the heater made (S/N)?

Thank you very much James !!

I'm using the heater now so I cannot diagnose anything. Once it cools down, I will turn-off circuit breaker to heater, then unplug to see if it resets. If not, then I'm buying a new keypad.

Also, when looking online for parts, I saw where you can replace the whole circuit board which includes the keypad. Is there a way to determine if its something else other than the keypad? I know the S5 error alludes to keypad, but I have seen crazier things.

Thanks again James, tstex

Note, I have a H400FD heater, which I erroneously had H440FD but corrected via edit. Also, most of the parts for the H Series heater are for an H400FDN. Does this add'l "N" have any bearing on part compatibility? Thanks again

IF I unplug the keypad from c-board, won't the keypad screen go completely blank?
No, the display comes from the display board. The keypad is just a clear window.
Hayward%20IDXL2DB1930-4.jpg

On the left hand side, you can see the E2 (4) pin connector labeled keypad. Disconnect the ribbon cable that's going from the keypad to the (4) pin connector.

Does this add'l "N" have any bearing on part compatibility?
The N just means Natural gas. The only parts affected are the gas valve and orifices, which can be natural gas or propane. The other parts are the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My control panel failed after a year, I bought a keyboard at first but ended up buying the whole unit. Seems like it was around $100 which is what Hayward wanted to charge for a service call.
Its an easy swap, my heater is about 6 years old and seeing James reply maybe they improved then around 2014. Replacement seems to be holding up.

Thanks Mark. Mine was installed around Oct 2014...I’m going to test the display like James said.
If yours was only a yr old, didn’t you have a 3yr warranty? Electronics these days are not built to last long...sad but true.

**NOTE: Used on models manufactured prior to 11/20/14

When was the heater made (S/N)?

Good Morning James and all,

My serial no is (21) 131310102613001 From my research, the heater was made in 310 or Oct 2013. If that's correct, is that typical of a Nov 2014 install? That was a 13 months old when installed ?

Either way, is this what I need to do to test the keypad to see if the error code goes away.
-turn off circuit/breaker to heater
-remove the four screws that holds in the keypad to heater framing
-detach the appropriate pieces that connect the circuit board to heater
-remove screws that hold key pad to circuit board as shown in video
-disconnect keypad ribbon cord from circuit board

Questions:

At this point, do I reverse everything and see if disconnecting keypad can be reset and works or do i put back together w out re-plugging in ribbon cord to c-board to see if error code goes away as you stated? For the latter, do I need to do anything to the keypad?

On the latter, to determine if the keypad is bad after unplugging, what am I looking for [or not looking for]?

Is/Are the process(es) above correct?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.