unbrokenlink

Jul 13, 2022
Boca Raton, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. Newbie here, so sorry if this isn’t in the right part of the forum. I did a descale with stain drop #2 (similar to jacks magic) and while the pool portion came out quite good, I left acid/stain remover in the spa portion too long and it took a nice layer of plaster off. It’s gritty/rough and for whatever reason can see more stains. They appear to be copper in color but not sure. My question is will an acid wash to eliminate the stains make it worse? How can I get the existing finish back to being more smooth. Rather not have to replaster as it’s only a 3 year old finish. TYIA!

An acid wash will only make the plaster surface more rough, not less. Try wet sanding an inconspicuous area with 80 or 120 sanding sponge. If it improves the surface quality, then that’s your best bet. Chemical treatments like acid washing are only going to exacerbate the problem.

Were the stains copper?

Reactions: unbrokenlink
Stop using acid. Acid etches plaster and does not smooth it.

You cannot replace what the acid removed.

You can try polishing the plaster using diamond sanding sheets. Either by hand or with rotary sanders.

Reactions: unbrokenlink
An acid wash will only make the plaster surface more rough, not less. Try wet sanding an inconspicuous area with 80 or 120 sanding sponge. If it improves the surface quality, then that’s your best bet. Chemical treatments like acid washing are only going to exacerbate the problem.

Were the stains copper?
I’ll post pics!

Were the stains copper?
Thx! Do I sand with water in the spa or drain it?

I was able to polish down the sides of the spa with a diamond grit pad. It is certainly better, but I couldn’t get all the water out of the spa portion so it’s circulating through the filter and the whole pool. Still quite cloudy and I’ve washed the cartridge filter twice. It’s about 30 hours in. I assume will take a few days to filter all the way through and clean it? Anyone have experience with this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.