Equipment location

rk05

Jan 20, 2018
cincy ohio
We are just in the very begging of our in ground pool build but I thought I would ask about where to place the equipment. The original plan was to put it next to the house right next to our A/C unit (Opt1). This would be the shortest electrical run but then it is right outside our basement window. Another thought I had on it not to be here was the fact that we are using a heat pump and that side of the house wouldn't get any sun until later in the day to take advantage of the solar heat to help with the heating.

Option2 would put it in the corner away from the house. This would be more electric cable (not that big of a deal) and the equipment would be in Full sun all day. My thoughts again would be to take advantage of the solar radiation to help the heat pump. This would also but the equipment farthest away for any noise which I'm sure isn't much.

Any other reasons to do one over the other?

ThanksBackyard layout - Copy.png

You still need to run the plumbing from the pool to the heater so factor that in. I would say it should be wherever the rest of your equipment is going. I am not sure how much benefit you will get from more direct sun exposure.

It is best to keep the equipment out of the direct sun as much as possible. You will find the control electronics and plastic parts will survive much better if not in direct sun all the time.

Solar radiation does not have a material effect on Heat Pump performance.

Ohio direct sunlight is not as intense as AZ direct sunlight.

Pool equipment is quiet until your pump develops a noisy bearing.

Which location will be most convenient to get between the equipment and pool water?

The pool installer will most likely select what is best and easiest for his install, not what is best for you to live with after.

Being outside the gate becomes a hassle when going back and forth between the equipment and water.

Could you post some actual pics of the area? Equipment placement is important as it is not an easy job to move later.

Here is a shot where the equipment would be right next to the house. The equipment would be 20' from the shallow waters edge.

The other shot is from the back where the right corner of the house the equipment would sit.

I wasn't planning on having the equipment inside the fence but could easily do that. I was going to terminate the fence at the back edge of the house but could move it down and place it between the A/C and the equipment?EquipmentPad.jpgHouseBack.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We opted to put equipment away from house and closer to pool. We didn't want any noise close to our home and our neighbors patio. Equipment will be shaded by our fence part of the day and I plan on covering it as summers here will bake it.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.JPEG
    IMG_1545.JPEG
    417.4 KB · Views: 15
If I were you I'd rethink the "heat pump" option as it probably won't heat the pool to your hearts content. Hind sight is 2020 and I don't want you to get to that point. There has been much discussion in the very recent past on this subject. Here's one link but do some searching on the forum as this topic has come up more than once.
Heat pump dealers for direct purchase?

Wireform, thanks for sharing the HP link. I have the ability to put in a NG heater if I keep the equipment next to the house. I'll have to look back over the HP specs to see what we have again.

We belonged to a local swim club that doesn't have any type of heater. June was always on the colder side when you first got in but we usually have hot muggy weather so it didn't make that big of a deal. In the end as long as it takes the chill out of the water the kids are fine. If it doesn't seem to heat as well as we want I could see about swapping out later to the NG.

Thanks

RK,
The beauty of having your own pool is that you're boss as far as how early you'd want to open and how late you'd close. The early and late swim season are what we call shoulder season and can extend the pool time quite a bit and can easily get you a 7 month season. Don't forget as you're location, Ohio gets colder earlier in the year and warmer later. The heat pump will not give you that stretch as it'll definitely struggle and run long hours to achieve temp rise. Below temps of X ambient air temperature they become very ineffective. A natural gas heater is only dependent on gas supply and hitting the power switch. I have pools that are enjoyed down to 45° ambient air and that's like a large spa where you can hang in there as long as you want without a chill. A good example of pros and cons would be a last minute change of plans and to want to use the pool say for a pool party in October. With a heat pump option, never happening but with NG or LP it would be a definite yes.Just food for thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.