Epic build

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are going to be building our next owner builder pool failt soon. Right now we are in the planning phase and hoping to start digging this winter when nobody is thinking about a pool and hopefully keep the prices down. So our current pool is 20x30 and has spa inside that footprint but on our new pool we would like to set the spa outside of the 20x30 footprint and cover it and have a slide over the top. Both my wife and I agree that we want the spa covered/semi enclosed on 3 sides and open to the pool on the 4th side. What we havent decided on is how we will actually enclose it. I was initially envisioning a structure similar to a swim up bar, but instead you would swim up to a covered spa rather than a covered sunken bar. I have attached a photo similar to what I was considering. My wife was considering something more cave-like on the inside and look like rocks/mountain on the outside and it would also have a slide going over the top like the other idea.
So here's our first question...we know what to expect to pay for the pool and spa portion, bit what would the price be for the covered cabana structure cist compared to a concrete cave-like structure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ThanksSwim-Up-Pool-Bar-Ideas-26-1-Kindesign.jpg

Last edited:
If you were closer to me I'd come out of retirement for this one...

I think if I understand what you are trying to do the cost for a freestanding cover vs a grotto type structure would probably be quite similar in expense. As for the actual construction, faux rock is much more forgiving but requires a true artisan to make it realistic and not look like a bunch of stacked potatoes.

Where are you at in the process? Is there a design?

What's the budget?

That's quite the wishlist for that budget... I'm retired again?

In all seriousness the best thing you can do is figure out exactly what you want and start pricing things out. I assume your user name name indicates you plan to do this yourself which can save you some money but this will be quite the project.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
That is a HUGE lot!!! I was intrigued your wife's idea THEN I saw B's last pic and LOVE it!!! Man that is so neat looking!! Add in a slide=BOOM!

So where are you on the selling and buying of the houses?

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would be interested in Brian's opinion on longevity and maintenance between the Rock or wood.:scratch:

The rock holds up well but will require repainting every so often.

Exposed wood can last a long time if its installed correctly and routinely maintained. If the wood is protected with stucco/ roofing as pictured then it will last a lifetime

That's quite the wishlist for that budget... I'm retired again?

In all seriousness the best thing you can do is figure out exactly what you want and start pricing things out. I assume your user name name indicates you plan to do this yourself which can save you some money but this will be quite the project.

Wow... That looks awesome... Are those all sculptured rocks???? Truly looks amazing..
Do you really think you can just post one pic like that??? What about the rest of the pool.... What's going on over to the right ????

For me.... It would be very difficult to make something like that fit on a flat lot. If the actual grade does not come up behind it then it does look and feel like someone piled a bunch of rocks (really cool looking and well placed rocks in this case) on the flat ground. In other words it does not blend into the natural environment. Now if you haul in a few thousand yards of dirt and Make your own mountain then you would really have something... Don't get me wrong, I am all about cool looking rocks, however Personally for that lot I would be leaning more towards the wooden structure as in the first pic.. Just my humble opinion..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.