Enough space for pool supply/return lines? Before or after foundation?

hiltxan

Jun 11, 2022
San Carlos, ca
Hi,

I'm relocating pool equipment since I'm building an ADU and the ADU had to demo the pool shed/equipment area.

Should the plumbing PVC go underneath the footing or through the foundation or along the side of the foundation of the ADU? There's about 5" of space from the pool deck to the foundation of the ADU. The current PVC pipes are 1.5" but I may just upsize it to 2" for the new piping. 1.5" return, 1.5" supply and a 1" for the skimmer. Is there enough space to go along the side of the foundation of the ADU? I'd prefer it outside of the ADU foundation since if anything breaks it's easier to fix.

See photos. Yellow string is where the foundation will be. I'm guessing to pour the footing/foundation first and then plumb the pipes outside along the side of the ADU

Thanks!

1675119872861.png
1675119897123.png

Depends on the size of the trench you can get between the ADU and the deck, number of pipes you need to run in the trench, and size of the pipes.

@AQUA~HOLICS may have dealt with that type of situation.

I can’t visualize your layout of the foundation , deck, equipment, ADU, and where the pipes need to run.

You can run the pipes underground or above ground as long as they are protected from damage and the sun UV.

I just drew a rough outline of how I think the pipes should run.
Yellow lines for the new supply/return and skimmer. Green outline for new equipment location. Currently there's about 5" between the pool deck and edge of the foundation.

1675121250550.png

It looks like you have the trench. Get three pieces of PVC pipe and see how it fits. I think it will.

3 pieces of PVC side by side or can they also be on top of one another? If side by side could be a tight fit.

I'm assuming worst case scenario if I don't want to break any more pool deck and there's not enough room is to route the pipe upwards first and run along the bottom right beneath the stucco of the home?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
3 pieces of PVC side by side or can they also be on top of one another? If side by side could be a tight fit.

They can be on top of each other if necessary. If you have 5” then the two 1.5” side by side and the 1” on top In between them.

I'm assuming worst case scenario if I don't want to break any more pool deck and there's not enough room is to route the pipe upwards first and run along the bottom right beneath the stucco of the home?
You can frame a soffit that runs alongside the house to enclose the pipes.

Run the plumbing lines along side the ADU foundation below grade.
Do not have them run through the foundation.
Have the foundation poured first, be aware that chances are the area that is left for the plumbing may shrink.
You may have to stack the plumbing on top of each other, if so have the plumber use 20’ sections with as few fittings as possible.
Upsize the plumbing, if it’s possible for them to fit in the current trenches.
Will you be pouring concrete (deck) to the new foundation? If so it may be to your advantage to cut the deck work to in large the trench so it can accommodate the larger pipes.

They're using forms to make sure that the foundation is flush. You can faintly see the yellow string below. Hopefully this won't make the area left for plumbing shrink since the forms can hold the foundation formation.

I'll just have the foundation contractors be very careful and maybe even protect the pipes when pouring to prevent any concrete from getting on the pipes or close to it.

What do you mean by pouring deck to the new foundation? You mean adding concrete deck on top of the future new pipes? I wasn't planning to, maybe just putting some dirt and tanbark on top later.

1675128183429.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.