Endless Pool Used Liner + Concrete Foundation Q's

Ldpmail

Jul 3, 2020
SE Michigan
Hello all. After reading extensively on this site, I think I have somewhat unique issues due to my pool being an Endless Pool (rectangular, 14 x 7', 42" high). Fyi, the pool is a steel box with no bottom so the liner is directly on the ground like typical AGP's.

I purchased the pool used in October just as winter was coming in MI so I couldn't install it then (hence exacerbating any potential liner issues such as being out of water too long). I now have been working on getting my yard ready for it for several weeks. One of my biggest stressors is not knowing how the liner situation is going to play out. I have learned through my research including on this site that you typically cannot reuse a liner. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one except 1) they are $1100 and 2) Endless Pools charges a $500 ownership transfer fee for the privilege of buying their overpriced liner. Additionally, it could be a long wait given COVID19 has wreaked havoc on pool supplies/parts this summer.

A few things that might work in my favor (?): 1) the pool was indoors in a basement the entire time it was used by the prior owner (i.e., no sun breakdown, virtually no chemicals had to be used on it, etc.), 2) the liner is very thick, 28 mil, so presumably more durable, 3) MI will be sunny and in the 90s for at least the next couple weeks (sun helps with the stretch during install?) And 4) because I'm installing on concrete, I'm going to follow the foam board insulation approach so many of you recommend. (@mcoonan's recommendation is 2" board which is available locally.) This will raise my floor, helping to compensate for shrinkage (?). And possibly 5) because it's so much smaller and basically a box, shrinkage may be more contained and less complicated to remedy?

My first question is do any of the above increase my success potential? When people experience shrinkage, how much is it? Are we talking many inches from the top? Would my foamboard solve for this in your opinion? What else can I do to try to make this work before going to plan B and spending $1600? I'm not working so $ is a factor here. Notes: 1) I did reach out to another pool spa company, Medallion Pools, and they will sell me their same sized liner for about half the cost but I'm too nervous that it won't be compatible. "No refunds". 2) I can't use floor coving to reduce stretch because the built-in benches press up against the walls on the bottom. (Weird, given floor coving is a best practice!)

Any insights, suggestions, etc. are appreciated!

2nd question: this may be more for people with specific concrete experience. I am repurposing my shed's slab for this pool. Its length is 3.5' short so my plan is to augment the shortage by using 4" thick concrete caps (8" x 16") you find near the cinder blocks at the home improvement stores. (4" is the slab thickness and per EP specs). I've properly prepared the base with gravel and sand. I intend to pour cement in lieu of the caps where the anchor bolts go and for good measure, the cement will be wider and deeper than the caps. Even still, one opinion is this is no good, that freeze/thaw will do me in and that the caps will crack from the water weight. I bought a 45 mil pond liner plus the aforementioned 2" foamboard to address freeze/thaw. And I question if the weight will be a problem since +80% of the weight will sit on the original slab. Thoughts?

Sorry for the length, devil's in the details!

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Lisa

Lisa, The MAJOR problem with reusing a liner is it is almost (saying almost because I have been taught to never) impossible to match the holes up just right. Now if you want to move the current holes to the other side of the pool and patch that area you can try that. That way you will have half a chance of reusing the liner.

For the slab-have you measure the slope of the current slab? You might not be able to see it with your eyes so take a solid ball out there and see how it rolls down from the top to the bottom. You can also use a long level to help you see the slope. If there is a slope (there should be one for water drainage) then it will be hard to level your pool on it.

Reactions: Ldpmail
Thank you for your reply! Interesting idea about the liner. The directions indicated there is a "vertical seam that fits at the front of the pool" so there may be only one way to position it. It's worth trying if I can't line up the holes. Thanks for the idea.

Yes, the slab was about 1/4" sloped and the specs allow for 1/8" unlevel so I had to self-level it which was not a fun experience. It wasn't as easy nor as pretty as the packaging made it sound. I'm still doing touchups to get it right. :(

I just finished the extension to my slab as I described in my original post and have attached a pic to help visualize it. The 45 mil pond liner arrived yesterday and was a lot thinner than I imagined but I'm stuck with it. Still hoping it and the 2" foamboard will be enough barrier for the freeze/thaw cycle.IMG_2121.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.