Elevated Chlorine - Is it a problem?

jtpipkin

Bronze Supporter
Oct 2, 2016
albany, ga
According to Pool School, my Chlorine should be at 6. It's been between 7 and 9 with my SWG only running at between 5 and 25% and the pump running about 8 hours per day. Some days I've cut it all the way down to 0%, but it appears it still registers as 5% on the control board. We received 2.5" of rain last week, but the temp can vary between 35 and 80 in the span of a few days. From what I can tell, the slightly higher chlorine is not a problem, but my question is, at what level would it become a problem. No doubt as the days get longer and hotter, this will not be an issue. I cut the SWG all the down again this morning because these readings indicate that even after a few warmer days and all that rain, the chlorine is holding strong. I guess that's a good problem to have, just curious as to whether or not my safety buffer could become an issue. Thanks in advance!

FC: 8.8
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 410
CYA: 80
SALT: 3400
BORATES: 50
TEMPERATURE: 65°
CSI: -0.22

jt,

An FC of 8.8 is just fine... As you say, your target is 6, but the key in my mind is not letting it get too low, I don't worry much about it being a little high.

It would have to be over 30 ppm before it becomes a problem.

I usually try to run a couple of points above my target..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jtpipkin
Use the FC/CYA Chart

Any FC level up to shock level for your cya is safe to swim in. You have plenty of safety buffer.

Spring time with rising temperatures and longer days catches many pool owners by surprise as chlorine demand is rising now. Spring also means wind that drives dirt, pollen and organic debris into the pool increasing chlorine demand.
Dropping below minimum Cl levels soon leads to algae polulations that multiply very rapidly. Best to keep ahead of the game and keep chlorine levels slightly elevated in anticipation of this rising demand as we head into summer.

According to Pool School, my Chlorine should be at 6. It's been between 7 and 9 ... From what I can tell, the slightly higher chlorine is not a problem, but my question is, at what level would it become a problem.
To answer your main questions (bold): As already mentioned, safe to swim is FC up to shock level for your CYA level (I didn't catch your CYA level)
... I guess that's a good problem to have, just curious as to whether or not my safety buffer could become an issue. Thanks in advance!
The "beautiful" thing about using TFP-methods is not having to match an "exact number", but being within a general threshold. Lowest Safe upto Highest Safe (both for swimmers & equipment)
Both micro-managing and "loosy goosy" can effectively (and safely) use the TFP guidelines to keep clean pools! Affordably, to boot!
And of course we keep asking questions to feel confident in our knowledge!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.