Electrical Problem

jbilliel

May 5, 2020
Connecticut
I had an above ground installed this year with the electrical done by a professional. There is a 70amp 240v dedicated circuit that runs to a subpanel outside with dedicated circuits for the pool pump and heat pump.

The last week every day I come home and the main breaker in the house is in the half way tripped status where it doesn't trip all the way to off although power has been killed. All the breakers in the sub-panel are not tripping and the GFCI's are not tripping. What has me stumped is why would the breaker in the house trip and not the breaker in the subpanel? Given that its a soft trip perhaps the main breaker in my house panel is just faulty?

Anyone have any thoughts?

What model AquaComfort Heat Pump?

What specific devices are powered by the subpanel? Hayward pump + AquaComfort Heat Pump + ?

Is the 70 amp breaker in the main panel AFCI or GFCI?

Post a pic of the 70 am breaker and the subpanel breakers.

You need to put a clamp-on ammeter on the HP electrical line and see what it is drawing.

What size CB's do the pump and HP have in the subpanel?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have no convenience outlet on the subpanel?

You have a 70 amp CB on each side of the sub panel feed. I would notify the electrican and have him replace the breaker that is tripping. It may be defective and too sensitive. He can also look and see if there is something amiss in the CBs panel connection.

I agree. That has to be the issues. I just checked the amperage of the pool pump and it’s only drawing 12 amps so that is well within the normal range. I will need to get an ammeter and test the heat pump, but if that checks out then it has to be the breaker in the house that needs to be replaced

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.