Tinkertoy721

Jun 2, 2021
Lowell, indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So we bought our house in the winter and all of the pool equipment was uninstalled and put inside. When we took it out this spring, we realized there was no electricity running to the pool at all. We didn't think anything of it and just grabbed an extension cord because that has to be what the old owners did right? Well being on here I quickly realized how wrong we were. We just installed electric now to the pool with a gfci outlet. Now I'm seeing things about bonding the pool? I'm just so confused on how this pool was legally installed without electrical or bonding. It's listed on our county assessment paperwork as having a pool so someone had to of filed for a permit and what not and got final approval. I'm just baffled and confused. I'm so over this pool. It was a black swamp and we finally have it perfect and now this. Does it have to be bonded? If you don't run the pump during pool use, then why is it needed?

The requirements for bonding an above ground pool aren‘t complex. What is the pool structure made of?
I honestly have no clue. I know theres 1 metal panel where the skimmer and everything is but I don't know what the rest is made up of. Theres metal covers on all of the posts but I think they are just covering up plastic posts.

Attachments

• 20210701_112519.jpg
    20210701_112519.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 27
Does it have to be bonded?

The pool water, pool equipment, deck, any metal structures within 5 feet of the pool, and possible the pool structure depending on its construction need to be electrically bonded together so that anything conductive that can be touched around the pool is all at the same equipotential.

If you don't run the pump during pool use, then why is it needed?

Stray electrical currents can come from many sources other then the pump. It can come from your house electrical system, your neighbors electrical system, a street light, a well pump, etc.

Thank you guys! Looks like I am headed to the county office next week to find out information about the previous pool permit and getting our electrical all sorted out. I definitely don't take pool safety lightly so it's my top priority now!!

Hard to believe that pool was once a black swamp.
Very nice. :goodjob:
Thank you!! It was all thanks to tfp. It took almost 2 months exactly but once we got the hang of slamming and using our testing kit, it only took 4 days! This pic was from before. We grew frogs from tadpoles in this bad boy 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-180031_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-180031_Snapchat.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.