Electric Heat Pump

There shouldn’t be any difference so long as it has adequate flow.
But You want to be sure it is large enough to do what you want based on your climate & expectations.

Reactions: Newdude
The description says for use with inground pools
The size/output of the equipment generally determines if it's in ground or above ground.
However, the lines can be blurred with 4k gallon inground pools and 33ft round above ground pools that hold 28k gallons.

Pumps are the exception as above ground pumps are gravity fed and don't need to be self priming. Any other equipment just check that the output is adequate for your gallons/dimensions.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If the unit has a pressure switch, then it could operate without water flow if used on an above ground pool.

👆 This is very important.

You want to make sure the pressure switch is either set to higher pressure setpoint to avoid accidental/unintended closure OR disable the pressure switch altogether and use a contact closure flow switch in its place.

If the unit has a pressure switch, then it could operate without water flow if used on an above ground pool.
A heater flow switch needs to be installed in some setups. Check the Installation manual to see if it discusses what to do when the water line is above the heater…

I would check under what conditions Hayward will honor that claimed 5 year warranty. In general Hayward will not cover equipment bought on the internet or not professionally installed.

👆 This is very important.

You want to make sure the pressure switch is either set to higher pressure setpoint to avoid accidental/unintended closure OR disable the pressure switch altogether and use a contact closure flow switch in its place.
Thank you for your reply! This is probably more complicated than I thought. Do you think a installer would understand what would need done with the flow switch?

Improve depot looks sketchy to me.

You can't just trust any website.

What makes you think that they are a legitimate retailer?

They have zero reviews, which is a big red flag.

There is no address for the company - Big Red Flag number two.

In my opinion, I would not trust them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Improve depot looks sketchy to me.

You can't just trust any website.

What makes you think that they are a legitimate retailer?

They have zero reviews, which is a big red flag.

There is no address for the company - Big Red Flag number two.

In my opinion, I would not trust them.
This isn't where I would be purchasing it. This is just one of the only websites I could find with that model on the internet

One other point to note not mentioned yet is how you plan to you use the pool, do you plan to use it early and late in the swim season when the ambient temps are very cool. The heat pump won't heat the pool efficiently for those times then you'll be better off with a natural gas or lp heater.

Thank you for your reply! This is probably more complicated than I thought. Do you think a installer would understand what would need done with the flow switch?

It is not really that complicated. It is simply replacing one type of sensor with an other.

The real issue about it is, the heater will work just fine without changing out the sensor. What it will NOT do is shut off if somehow the water circulation were to stop. It would overheat, go on fire, etc.

It is not complicated to fix, but it needs to be done. If it is not done, you are then circumventing a safety device.

It is like putting a normal receptacle instead of a CFCI one outside. It is going to work just fine, until you need it to prevent an accident.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.